1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project turntable and vinyl advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by daveb975, Jan 12, 2005.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I have recently been looking around for a new turntable to play my old vinyl on. From the look of other threads on here, this Project turntable seems a good starting point:

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=PHONOSB

I will be using it with a Sony 1080 AV amp, so I am guessing I will need a phono stage of some type, which .

Would it be worth spending a bit more. I would be happy to spend £250 or so, but not too much more as I will not be using it too much.

I am thinking of getting a stereo amp as well in the near future, as I am finding myself listening to more and more music.

As mentioned, I am going to mainly be using this for my existing vinyl collection, but I would be interested in getting a few new ones to demonstrate what the format is capable of - any suggestions?

2. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi
    I've been having a vinyl revival and have now split my HiFi with Home Cinema due to the better sound quality of using a HiFi amp compared to my Denon AVC A1D.
    Have given my Roksan Xerxes a good service which uses a AT0C9 moving coil cart into an EAR phono stage onto a Audio Innovation 500 valve amp.
    The project is'nt a bad buy but you may find some decent turntables on Ebay,the Rega's are especially a good bet.
    There are also a good amount of decent amps available,if you know what you're looking for there can be bargains.
    Re new vinyl just bought Keane 'Hopes&Fear' and both Coldplay albums on 180g vinyl from
    http://eil.com/
    They sound superb,been also trawling secondhand stuff on Amazon and Ebay filling in the gaps I had during the 80's&90's when I didn't buy any vinyl
    Cheers
    Rob

3. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You won't need a seperate phono stage if you're buying the DebutSB as it's got one built in. You can just plug it into a free input on your amp and you're in business. For a first turntable it's a great choice, but bear in mind that if the vinyl bug bites and you want to upgrade to something better, you'll then have to buy a seperate phono stage.

If this sounds likely, it might be better to get a seperate phono stage now such as the Project Phonobox, and couple it with the basic Debut deck (which is the same as teh DebutSB apart from manual speed change and the lack of the built in phono stage)

EDIT - personally I'd recommend the Project 1 Xpression - that's what I have and it's excellent for the money and should be able to do justice to a much better cartridge due to the quality of the arm.

For new vinyl I use www.opalmusic.com :)

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Thanks Rob.

How did you find the Coldplay albums sounded compared to CD?

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    My guess is the Sony would be the bottleneck in the system and therefore I would wholly agree with the need to buy a separate amplifier. For roughly £250 you should be able to pick up a decent turntable.

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Do you think that the £250 would buy me anything significantly better than the Project Debut (£159)?

7. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Superb,bigger soundstage more depth all those superlatives the HiFI buff would use. :)
    I've alway preferred the 'vinyl' sound,the records are very well produced and worth investing in if you like Coldplay and want a reference LP.
    Rob

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  9. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would also look out for Rega 3's, ebay seems to have quite a few. Very good TT, easy to setup (no springs) but try and get one with a RB300 arm.

Heybrook TT2 is also very good.

On a side note, I was wondering what a Townshend Rock was worth, wow, I think it might be time to dig out my old Rock/Zeta. Zeta's seem to go for about £300. I feel a sale coming on :)

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    About a thimble full of silicone damping fluid. I liked the quirky old Rock, strangely I heard one with a London Decca Gold mounted on Towsends top arm (I thik you sometimes had to turn the arm upside down to make it work). Anyway it sounded amazing, Im not sure what damage this cart was causing to the Vinyl, but it had serious punchy bass.

11. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I had quite a few London and Garrot Decca's over the years and never really noticed any wear issues but I never found another cartridge which injected so much life into the music. They were very delicate though, my (then) six year old niece destroyed my last Garrot Bros Decca :(

12. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Very Nice mate :thumbsup: might be interested in the Zeta if the price was right ;)
    Why not give it a service well worth it IMO
    Rob

13. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Just found out that the Sony appears to have a Phono stage.

Would I be better off getting the Debut without the stage to save £40, or would the built in phono stage be a better option than the Sony one?