Project LGS

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after several months waiting, getting architects drawing then planning permission and a party wall agreement in place we are finally at the ppoint where building has commenced this week.Well, its the demolition phase first as the dilapidated garage was taken apart , a breaker used to to remove existing concrete floors ,tarmac paths etc, and the site is being marked out for when the digger arrives next week to excavate the footings .The plan is to build a new 8x4 mtr room from the back of the rear of the house which will act as our main kitchen/dining reception area.The garage will also be replaced with a new one.
I myself have been carrying out some work to my garden, namely cutting 3 massively overgrown shrubs , removing 3 others and pruning a large apple tree/That was the first phase which was followed by breaking up tow concrete areas and replacing with two paths one of which winds to the back.I laso relocated a rock garden to the back planted a few shrubs and herbaceous plants and did some work on the small raised vegetable plot.There is much to do yet as a new fence is required on the rear boundary behind the apple tree where i shall also install a pergola and have sitting out area there
When the extension is finished i shall also lay a new curved patio using Indian sandstone with a brick edge to it which will curve towards and round the rear of the garage meeting up with a gravelled garden complete with gravel pond /fountain ornamental grasses and a japanese acer tree.Here are some pics of work in progress:

Attachments

• P1020689.jpg
    P1020689.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 286
  • P1020685.jpg
    P1020685.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 294
  • P1020686.jpg
    P1020686.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 295
  • P1020690.jpg
    P1020690.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 280
extra pics including a tete between August Siete and the Mrs and one of the main reason we need an extension , a laughingly called kitchen

Attachments

• tete a tete.jpg
    tete a tete.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 269
  • kitchen2.jpg
    kitchen2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 253
That's a really awesome garden. If you get wildlife in there too you should enter this month's AVF photography comp

a robin,a group of pigeons on our apple tree , not a rabbit and not me or my Mrs

Attachments

• robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 171
  • pigeons.jpg
    pigeons.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 137
  • rabbit.jpg
    rabbit.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 142
  • fairy.jpg
    fairy.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 175
Love the garden LGS. That's what i was aiming for at the bottom of my garden but I ended up with a wall of very spitefull Yucca plants around my fence. If someone came over it i think they would be seriously impaled.

Nice one LJN. Work on going :smashin:

Love the garden LGS. That's what i was aiming for at the bottom of my garden but I ended up with a wall of very spitefull Yucca plants around my fence. If someone came over it i think they would be seriously impaled.

They are vicious those bloody things:laugh:I got to do some clearance round one tomorrow:eek:

What apple tree is it LGS? Do you have any Dwarf trees? I have three and always looking to add to my collection.

Last edited:
because of the suize of the tree i am tempted to say bramleys, the fruit look right to but i see no other trees around that could actl like pollinators , which they need.At the mo I have no other fruit trees

have you tried growing these sorts in pots? Mini Patio Fruit Trees | Mirror Reader Offers

No, never seen them before. Quite a good idea. Been looking at Bramley's.

I'm not sure if they do a dwarf bramley, I do know they do semi dwarf which are self pollinating.

Photo 4 looks like a mimi nature trail, very nice and unique IME:thumbsup:

No, never seen them before. Quite a good idea. Been looking at Bramley's.

I'm not sure if they do a dwarf bramley, I do know they do semi dwarf which are self pollinating.
They are called minarette or cordon tress except the latter are most often planted at a slight angle.They can be grown on the open ground planted at two feet intervals.Bear in mind they get pruned twice a year , once in february and once in august , to keep the shape.
Interesting article here about training fruit trees in a particular way to save space
Basics of Espaliered Fruit Trees for Backyard Enthusiasts | VintageGardenGal

Photo 4 looks like a mimi nature trail, very nice and unique IME:thumbsup:

the idea was to create a walkthrough down a winding path to the rear where a pergola and sitting out ate will be, and then return via a another path running alongside a rockery herb garden and raised veg plot back to the lawn through the gate with overhanging wisteria

Great garden. You don't have a trampoline :eek:

lol :D

After visiting Right Move for what seems like an eternity, every other house I look at seems to have a trampoline in the garden. Has the nation turned in to a bunch of gymnasts or summink ? :confused:

LGS I love your garden. It's beautiful. :thumbsup:

Loving the garden, I particular envy the vege patch and the little alpine plant / rocky area :D

They are vicious those bloody things:laugh:I got to do some clearance round one tomorrow:eek:

Every single Yucca around here died over the winter, some of them mature "trees" over 20 foot tall that must have been decades old. I assume it must have been the cold that got them?

That Robin photo is fantastic, but the photo comp rules require photos to have been taken in the current month. I would recommend you post it in the not eligible for entry thread though, it's a goodun :thumbsup:

Very nice garden LGS, it obviously requires a lot of care. Look forward to seeing your extension too.

Every single Yucca around here died over the winter, some of them mature "trees" over 20 foot tall that must have been decades old. I assume it must have been the cold that got them?

That Robin photo is fantastic, but the photo comp rules require photos to have been taken in the current month. I would recommend you post it in the not eligible for entry thread though, it's a goodun :thumbsup:
We live on the south coast so palm trees yuccas hebes and Phormium tenax are quite common.Havent seen much evidence of bad frost damage from the last winter except a few hebes

Very nice garden LGS, it obviously requires a lot of care. Look forward to seeing your extension too.

i'll post pics and comments as the building progresses:).Have to say these guys are pretty laid back and not exactly busting a gut , but thats ok with me provided the end result is ok.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom