1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Gotham Racing 2 XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Miyazaki, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    EDIT link doesn't seem to work

I found a site where the average review from 10 different "reputable" gaming sites gaving it 94.5%

have to say it looks like one hell of a game!

can't wait until i play it, but it looks like the best racing /driving game yet!

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Looks bloody lovely too!

Photo realism anyone?

Attached Files:

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I played the full version for a while a few weeks ago and I wasn't immediately impressed. The Live aspect of it might do the trick but the game felt sluggish. Graphics are great and the level of detail is awesome. Looking at the M3 they have the inside of the car exactly perfect.

Neil.

4. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only played the demo, but the main problem I found was the representation of speed seemed really bad, very much like the first one. Having been spoiled by the Moto GP series and its excellent sense of speed this seems like I'm driving a golf cart at times. I don't think this is helped by the frame rate either. That said I've still got it on pre-order so its outweighed by all the good points.

5. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love it. It's amazing on Live.

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    From what I've heard the demo is a poor representation of the full game - which is why I've bought it. Its being shipped to me as I type! :D

Neil.

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    If it's one iota as good as metropolis street racer on the dreamcast it will be astonishing.

I've yet to see a PS2 game that betters metropolis street racer on the dreamcast.

8. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    GT3 and Colin McRae 3 are two I can think of right away :D But I agree MSR is still awesome - pity about all the bugs.

Regards,
    Neil.

9. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Having played the heck out of PGR2, I think it's just fab. It's everything PGR should have been, and everything I wanted MSR to be all them years ago :).

It's not the flashy graphics or monster cars that 'do it' for me. It's the lovely flowing tracks and intense competitive races against the AI. In PGR2 the focus is firmly on racing, with hot-lapping and cone-challenges taking a back seat. And the game is tons better because of it. Also, there's none of the annoying 'street furnature' that dogged its predecessors. I hated those traffic-islands and other crap sitting in the middle of the road.

The tracks are a massive step forward cos of the variety of corners and hills. Far too many of the PGR tracks were flat and boring and full of 90 degree corners. Also, I can finally see where I'm going - PGR was way to dark, and MSR had horrible texture aliasing which meant that any object more than a hundred yards in front was a random jumble of pixels.

I do have a critisim that no-one seems to have mentioned... The cities look great, but on the replays there's a massively over-done 'depth of field' effect which blurs all that lovely detail into a big smudged mess :(

Overall tho, it's the best console race game I've ever played. And I've played all of them :)

Oh, and I should mention that the frame-rate slow down seen in the PGR2 demo is NOT present in the full game. When there's loads of cars and smoke on screen there is a tiny bit of slow-down, but I've not seen anything nearly as bad as the demo

10. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Mr Belowski thats quite a lot of praise and good to see that it is actually far better than PG so i might actually get this, i did have PG but to be honest i couldnt see what all the praise was about as i just didnt enjoy it preferring burnout 2 and motogp far more, but i might actually give PG2 a try if it is much better than the original.

11. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    To be honest, I was never a fan of PGR, but PGR2 is miles better

12. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I'm looking forward to this now maybe in-depth playing infront of the plasma will convince me its a good game.

Neil.

13. TranceFan

TranceFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Having played the full game for a week, dont get too blown away with the hype (esp. the marketing stills), while graphics are good, they arent amazing, some tracks like Barcelona are impressive with nice textures, but most so far are repetitive, with little detail. Its like they did a few tracks to impress then ran out of time with the others. very playable, but the slight lack of smoothness @ 30fps compared to games like Burnout 2 or rallisport challenge is noticeable.

14. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    While the graphics certainly don't match the hype, the game itself is, IMO, worthy of all the praise it's received.

15. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Was up till 3am this morning playing this and it rocks. Very challenging and rewarding when you get the handling right.

Also played Need 4 Speed Underground which is like tripping after a few bottles of vino. Also very good if a bit more arcade like.

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Played the demo last night and subsequently cancelled my pre-order with Amazon. Just not my sort of thing. I'll stick with CMR04 for driving fun :)

17. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I think that's the key here. CMR4 and Burnout2 are both fun to play and bring a smile to your face. I own both MSR & PGR and while I agree they are great to look at and great to play I do not find them fun at all. They are very tense affairs. Especially when you hit a railing you didn't see was there in the last lap. IMO of course.

18. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I can't argue with the frustration of PGR & MSR's railings and other crap that would catch you out on the last lap.

Fortunately, PGR2 has none of these annoying traffic-islands and other badly placed street furnature - the tracks are all nice and open and clear of obstructions. This makes PGR2 about a million times more fun and less frustrating than its predecessors.

IMO :)

19. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    colin mcrae4 is very poor in comparison imho the cars seem to float on the track rather grip,i just played it straight after gotham and although i know they are 2 completely different racing games cm4 just doesnt have the right feel for a driving game IMHO.

20. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Out tomorrow!!!!!

(Hi boss, I'm feeling a little bit unwell this morning, can't make it into work today...)

MRW

21. tonyeck

tonyeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    everywhere I know of (inc game) have been selling this since at least wednesday :)

22. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I know, my mates have had them on pre-order, and they haven't arrived until today..

I get tauting them with the NTSC version I downloaded last week..

Its that good, I bought the original in Game on wednesday... just for the Downloadable content (not that there is any yet)..

I would indeed put up their as the number 1 racing game by a country mile...

I like CMR4/Burnout 2, but they are amazingly 'arcade'.. which is nice, but too arcadey to be compared directly to PGR2.. my PS2 and GT series are now going on ebay.. strange how you hang onto a console just for a couple of games!!!!

I'll have to compare with NFS underground tomorrow... whcih in fairness looks like it has nice graphics...

23. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    NFS Underground is fantastic, and looks the part too at 1280x1024 with everything switched on on a pc.

However, it is quite realistic, but more in keeping with the Burnout series. Nice game though.

24. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    For some reason I didnt expect NFS underground to be much good but I am really impressed with it, especially the sound, it even makes use of the centre which none of my other games seem to! I bought both PGR 2 and NFS from Whsmiths yesterday for £60 and I havent put them down since, its just a pity I have an essay to do, and the Mrs is going out :(