1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project from different room through wall

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jasper_mccrea, Jun 14, 2005.

1. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I just know there was a thread on this before, but I can't find it.

My significant other is a bit apprehensive at the thought of another piece of equipment appearing in the living room. Especially one that'll have to sit moderately prominently in our soon to be beautifully and tastefully decorated living room. It's just entered my head that this may be a possiblilty, pending discussions with her indoors.

Has anyone put there projector in another room, poked a hole through the wall, and projected through the hole?

If so, what sort of 'gasket' (for want of a better word) did you put in the hole? I'm thinking something flowerpot shaped, possibly glazed.

And the other room in my case will be the kitchen. I'm assuming it'd be pretty sensible to box in the projector to save it from cooking odours, grease, etc. What size of box would be needed. It's only a panny 200, so small ish.

Answers, and photos if you've done this and have them, appreciated.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Some guy was talking about projecting through a glass plate into the bathroom!

The kitchen environment for a PJ is probably about as bad as it gets.

May I suggest you place the wife in the kitchen and the PJ in the livingroom...PJ :thumbsup:

3. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was thinking of a fully enclosed box, with ventilation.

The more I think about this, the more complicated it becomes. I'll probably have to abandon the idea before I get started.

I'll probably have enough problems with the cabling as it is.

Wife in the kitchen?!?! Chance would be a fine thing. Filing her nails and watching Celebrity Love Island, that's more her speed.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Show her a pic of the Toshiba ET1.

Also tell her that Linda Barker has one (not a Tosh ET1 - but definitely a PJ) in her living room.

...PJ :thumbsup:

5. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Guys,

I am thinking of doing this in the house I am about to start building. The room is going to be 6m x 6m. My PJ is SIM2 Domino 20 with a really long throw. The PJ is actually quite noisey, so I am thinking that the PJ will sit in a hallway outside the room showing through a glass window.

I would love to know if anyone has actually does this and how well it works.

Ian.

6. stevebt

stevebt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you really serious :thumbsdow do you realise the size of the hole you would have to put thru the wall to get the image to project properly. i think a ceiling mount or just a couple of wall brackets and a shelf would be a much better option :lease:

7. Silas

Silas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did this, a long time ago in a rented flat.
    I cut a hole through a single skin of breeze blocks.
    It was the same size as the lens and surround with a small gap(2-3mm). It cured noise and smoke problems. I tried a glass window but that caused reflections and didn't make much difference to the noise, I think cinemas use special glass.
    When I moved out I pasted some paper over the hole, and didn't leave a forwarding address.
    Worth doing if you want the true "cinema experience"
    (posted by a friend of a friend of mine)

8. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about putting in a tasteful cabinet?

I can imagine something like a writing desk, with a pull down flap that I would simply use when I wanted to project.

9. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I do like this idea, but I'll have to abandon it because of the kitchen. If it was the bedroom, I'd do it.