Project entertainment paradise :D

R B Customs

Hi guys.

I just wanted to post some pics and maybe a small log of my project !

ill start with the plans
my room is 14'8'' x 6'8''
room222bg1.jpg

room111fu4.jpg

Okay, so my room is quite small and my initial plans were to just have a BIG bench across one side of it to house my PC and speakers and screens etc.
ive always used a small desk and just never had the room, or indeed the space for my legs ! so the idea was maximum surface, maximum leg room.

Now the most important aspect of my new overhauled room is my PC,a nd my Hi-Fi
i went for the spec in my signature for my hi-fi and will continue to add to it.

it didn't really occur to me that i could also have a big ass screen too, but i was soon prompted when my dad mentioned a projector going spare at work.
i have no doubt that the projector ( as far as i know is an older model of some in focus thing ) will be a tad naff, but this will be temporary until i splash out for one of my own.

so with this new found idea of having a cinema system i went hunting for a screen, i found it pretty damned hard to find actual photos of actual screens on the internet, but even harder to find screens to fit the width of my wall ( 2.04 meters / 6foot 8 ) it was when i went to visit a friends workshop to see about my big laminated bench top that he showed me some spare 2 meter wide screens that he had lying around. he told me that they had been bashed on one end and were rejected, he had since repaired them and thankfully knew the inside workings of the screens and told me how easy it was to trim and cut them to size while still maintaining them in full working order. i was surprised to find just how easy it was. just tonight it took me about 40 minutes to cut 28cm off the screen to get it the perfect size that i need and yes, it still works !

the next decision i come to is that of the dvd +speaker system.
i know i will have so spend alot of money to achieve sound and vision that would ever compare to my hi-fi stereo, any the speakers would have to be positioned in such silly places that would not make a decent set up worth while. so for this reason i have decided to only spend around £300 on either a pioneer or sony 'home cinema in a box' type set up
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2996

OR

i could go for something like this, with a separate dvd player like this:
http://www.pixmania-pro.co.uk/uk/uk/403390/art/yamaha/home-cinema-set-5-1-av-30.html?srcid=867

i have about a 14cm gap around my screen to place speaker ( probably bigger ) so something like that is possible

Then again i may be totally barking up the wrong tree with where im actually placing my speakers, i don't really have much of a clue about home cinema so if anyone would like to give me a shunt int he right direction - please do :)

ill post some real pics soon !
Rick

sy278

Where will your main viewing point be for the projector?

The Chair at the desk (moved back from the desk) or the bed?

R B Customs

Where will your main viewing point be for the projector?

The Chair at the desk (moved back from the desk) or the bed?

If its just me viewing it would probably be the chair moved back to gain the best from the rear speaker positions, but if it me and my girlfriend then probably from the bed.

i have placed the rears on the diagram in where i thought would be best for viewing from the bed, they would have to go high up to avoid any collisions with the wardrobes and angled downwards... is this okay ? or is there a better way to do it ?

i know by viewing from my bed the rear channels will be somewhat un effective but its about the best i can do :(

not too sure where the sub will go. i will just have to cross that bridge when i come to it

R B Customs

projectorhousingrr0.jpg

Ive been designing this housing for the projector screen.

the only real reason for doing it is that i used to have wardrobes where it is going to go, these wardrobes had 3 halogen down lights shining from the tops of them, they were powered by ( as i discovered) a mains plug socket hanging from the ceiling, poking out a hole - god knows what the builder was up to !

anyway, the plug terminal still remains and i still have the light fittings and so on, so thought id borrow some ideas i have seen here and make a purpose built housing.

i have yet to figure the whole thing out which is why im building it with 3d models before i build it in real life !

Does anyone have any input on doing this ? i would think that there is going to be alot of heat building up inside the box with a transformer and 3 spot lights - then again they are never gonna be on 24/7 maybe 6 hours constant maximum ?
rick

Morb

Would it be possible to place your bed across the back of the room, move the wardrobe inbetween the windows and move your other cabinet between the bed and the door. A bit like Mr latte suggested on another forum with a little twist, i read the other forum but i can't join as i only have a msn email :mad: but don't worry im not stalking you :D .

The reason i suggest that layout, if it is possible, is because you can use the bed a bit like a sofa.

Looks a good plan though a bit of tweaking to it and im sure you will get just what you want.

sy278

A bit like Mr latte suggested on another forum with a little twist, i read the other forum but i can't join as i only have a msn email :mad:

R B Customs

well it was an absolute chew on but thanks to Sketchup, the helpful guy in B&Q Who i just didn't stop bothering with demands

The lights were easy enough as there were some lights sitting ontop of my wardrobe which used to be on that wall. they will be used just for additional room lighting.

Before:

picture030smallsl6.jpg

picture033smalliz7.jpg

During ( this was very late at night )
picture032smallen1.jpg

After

Obviously that inst at 16:9, ive just lowered it by attaching it to that headboard with wire lol i wont have it this low for viewing.
picture035smallow4.jpg

picture037smallgq0.jpg

In the process of all this i completely nackered the spring mechanics int the screen so with alot of bashing, hammering and more genius i fixed it... for a moment though i thought i was gonna have to buy a new one !

Now, the 3 lights in that box are 20watt halogen bulbs that Iv'e told I CANNOT DIM. But i have a remote control dimmer switch on my wall i use for my main lights which works very well. but does anyone know of a remote control ON/OFF switch ? no dimming.

Rick

MarkP80

Hi Rick,

Nice work so far :thumbsup:

I've a suggestion on the electronics. You already have some decent stereo gear, so why not use it! To begin with, you could buy just a DVD player. How about one of the budget Toshiba players for example? (But check you get one with video connections compatible with your projector) Simply take the stereo analogue outputs from this to your amp, and you've then got good quality stereo sound for your films.

OK, this isn't 5.1 surround, but I've used a setup like this for some time, and found it to give good results, so give it a try (some folk ONLY use this).

Your next step could be to buy a used AV amp (there are always plenty on this forum, and amps are a good bet second hand). Make sure you get one with preouts. You then connect your dvd player to this amp, and for the front left/right take the analogue preouts and put them into you stereo amp. These then double up as front L/R for 5.1 films as well as their normal stereo music function.

You then need to simply buy a centre, rears and a sub. Again, you can get some bargains on the classifieds here.

Going this route will, I believe, give you much better results than a one-box solution, and may well and up costing you less money. :smashin:

Cheers,
MarkP

Edit - Alternatively for the DVD player, what about using the PC? Do you have a decent graphics and sound card? There may be some scope here, but I'm no expert - maybe you know?

R B Customs

Hi Rick,

Nice work so far :thumbsup:

I've a suggestion on the electronics. You already have some decent stereo gear, so why not use it! To begin with, you could buy just a DVD player. How about one of the budget Toshiba players for example? (But check you get one with video connections compatible with your projector) Simply take the stereo analogue outputs from this to your amp, and you've then got good quality stereo sound for your films.

OK, this isn't 5.1 surround, but I've used a setup like this for some time, and found it to give good results, so give it a try (some folk ONLY use this).

Your next step could be to buy a used AV amp (there are always plenty on this forum, and amps are a good bet second hand). Make sure you get one with preouts. You then connect your dvd player to this amp, and for the front left/right take the analogue preouts and put them into you stereo amp. These then double up as front L/R for 5.1 films as well as their normal stereo music function.

You then need to simply buy a centre, rears and a sub. Again, you can get some bargains on the classifieds here.

Going this route will, I believe, give you much better results than a one-box solution, and may well and up costing you less money. :smashin:

Cheers,
MarkP

Edit - Alternatively for the DVD player, what about using the PC? Do you have a decent graphics and sound card? There may be some scope here, but I'm no expert - maybe you know?

That all makes sense now. some people ahve suggested using my decent stereo sound for fronts but never really understood how to hook it all up.

I suppose i just wanted surround for that un deniable feeling it gives. even if it is cheap.

I have a pretty decent computer but ive always thought dvds looked shockign on it. this may be down to the software im using though.

as for second hand im hapy to go down this route but ill have to do some research into what to buy !!
i still have to look at a new projector too i have an in-focus X1 which ive heard is good but is very limited on inputs !

cheers,
Rick

R B Customs

Hey guys, Big update :O, sorry for the delay !

well ive got most things up and running now. and progress is this:

- Fitted desk
- finished hi-fi
- temporarily set up projector until i get a mount for it
- radiator lowered and replaced

Still to do:

- wire up lights on the screen housing
- touch up some damaged paint
- mount projector
- new furniture
- new interconnect for t/t

I was playing about with my pc and projector and well, i guess everyone was right ! PC's are great for home theater! i hooked the PJ up tot he spare output on my graphics card and accidentally found 'theater mode' in the catylist drivers. all i can say is WOW !
For anyone not in the know - it pretty much picks up any video source on your PC and puts only that video out to whichever output you like

so this works for DVD's
downloaded video media ;)
some streaming internet video

SO in short, i have taken your advice and im sticking with my PC, and loosing the surround sound idea for now.

Hi-Fi
I am still waiting for the hi-fi dealer to get my silver CD player in to replace this temporary black one ivce got. so no progress here
Although on a good note ( no pun intended) i bought some Nordost speaker cables, which i can honestly say have been the single most effective upgrade to the system YET ( i ran my old gale linea 4 cables head to head against them and just WOW :0 )
The latest ( and possibly last) addition tot he system is a Pro-ject 2 Xperience turntable, although i will probably add a separate phono stage to it in due course

All this writing and no pics yet - you must be sick !

The first one is a small snippet of screaming video from t'internet through to the projector. because of the small resolutions from the streaming video, the picture produced is clear as a bell ! i have left my computer screen turned on and you can just about make out the scene from 'family guy' in the top left of the screen which is being extracted and projected by some magic stuff within the catylist drivers.

1002123smallre6.jpg

Here is my hi-fi set up so far, still need to sort the wires out behind and under my desk but ill save that for when ive run out of things to watch and listen to lol
( pro-ject 2 xperience turntable+Marantz 5001 CD player>QED silver spiral>Marantz 4001 amp> Nordost 2flat cables > Mordaunt Short MS20i w/ spiked platforms)
1002109smallmk4.jpg

Heres my big desk i have waited so long for !
i absolutely love it ! just so much space, but due to my bad habits it doesn't take long before its covered in CD's and glasses and general junk. It also catches a fair amount of dust too but i have a new carpet so that could be one reason for it.
1002120smallys7.jpg

1002108smallcl0.jpg

DVD's
I tried and tried to set theatretek and FFD show up and in sync but didn't work, so i will try again ( followed the instructions to the letter, i saw the over lay data OSD once, and then never again, so i can only presume its not working. so for now i am using trusty VLC media player to do the biz, again the resolutions pan out fine, and to me the p[picture is okay, just need a little bit of tweaking.
Heres a famous scene from gladiator:
1002119smalllr7.jpg

more updates to come i guess !
Rick

Morb

Nice job mate. :smashin:

It is amazing what you can fit into a confined space.
As mentioned Mark P80 you can get some cracking bargins on some second hand AV gear. Not so sure you could get a subwoofer in there, maybe a small unit. If i was in your position i wouldn't worry to much about a sub but concentrate on getting a nice amp and the surround speakers.

I ran my system without a sub for a long time and it was perfectly fine, although i would never go back now. I suppose you could get a nice big SVS stick your matress ontop and use it as your bed. :rotfl:

Once again awsome job squeezing it all in and making it look as good as you have. Hope your prepared for what you have got yourself into now, i can already smell upgradeitis which = £££ :devil: .

stewartbradford

Wow, love what you've done with the space you have.

However, what size is your desk and what's it made of? Looks like maybe a kitchen worktop.

R B Customs

Wow, love what you've done with the space you have.

However, what size is your desk and what's it made of? Looks like maybe a kitchen worktop.

I have a freind who makes display stands and shop fitttings etc... he made the desk to my specs.
it is 204cm long, by 2.5 foot deep (mixxing measurments is bad i know ) and a couple inches thick.

it is acctually made out of a fire-door blank, its really REALLY stiff ( it doesnt sag in the middle like a kitchen bench would ) and for its size is very light.
he laminated it with eggshell finished Formica laminate which is suprisingly tough!

He also cut 3 holes for wires in it, one in the middle/back, and 2 in each of the back corners. hence there are no speaker cables trailing along it. - ill shoot some pics of them soon
The best thing about it was that it only cost me £55 + a few quid for some battons and fixxings etc :D

ive also tidied the wires under there too :O

Rick

MarkP80

Nice job! I think you'll find that PC route really versatile. Now, how about getting a top rate sound card and outputting into your amp - see how it compares to a separate cd player......

MarkP

R B Customs

Nice job! I think you'll find that PC route really versatile. Now, how about getting a top rate sound card and outputting into your amp - see how it compares to a separate cd player......

MarkP

I have a Creative X-fi extreme music with the fatality panel, It wont beat an M-audio counterpart... but i am well into my gaming and wouldnt change it just yet. ( i do actually use the virtual surround sound for games, it makes it sound crap but it does actually work ! )
I find the front panel too useful to change it also

I am doing a comparison between my PC and my separate CDP now, and i have to say ( i don't like to admit this but... ) the PC is - to my ears- better.
I can hear the vocals clearer, and they stand out against the instruments better. it is as if every channel of music has been freed up and separated. The sound stage to the extremes of my ears is better ( right beside them - as far left and right as possible) it just sounds like the sound is 'there'

I am left slightly... errr unhappy !
As you can see from the pictures, i have a black CDP which i am STILL waiting fro a silver one to replace it... but with this new found experience, i may just ask the shop if i can upgrade to a different CD player altogether... the difference is that much!

I have turned all EQ etc off my sound card and set it to 'audio creation mode' which is designed to just be exactly neutral.

Don't know whether i should be happy or sad ! ... either way I'm gonna have to wait til the 25th ( pay day :D )
Rick

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom