1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Debut turntable cartridge alignment - HELP!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ollie501, Jul 24, 2003.

1. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I've just bought a Project 2 Debut SB turntable, which is prefitted with an Ortofon cartridge.
    In with the turntable were a plastic alignment tool, and a similar cardboard one. (Not sure if one is used for measuring anti-skate, or pressure?).
    Being REALLY new to decent quality turntables, I have no idea how to use these tools, and research on the net has proved fairly fruitless, as most of the guides go way above my head.
    Can anyone give me some advice on how to use them properly, ideally with pretty pictures! The instruction manual is completely useless, and tells you nothing about cartridge alignment.
    The cartridge is probably already set just fine, but i'd like to know, so I can check, and also for future reference. I've read that misaligned cartridges can cause damage, to themselves, and worse, to the records.

All advice very gratefully received.

Thanks

Ollie

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The cartridge should be aligned with the needle/cartridge body parallel to the record grooves,and the alignment tool should enable this to be done....usually it's something fitted over the turntable spindle and placed in proximity to the cartridge,and the cartridge aligned with the lines on the tool.
    Tracking weight(or stylus pressure)is best done with a proper stylus pressure guage,and a cheap decent one was/is the Shure stylus pressure guage.....basically a very simple measuring scale.
    Anti-skate....best done by using a test record.....not sure where you'd get one nowadays,but the principle is to begin with no antiskate at all,and gradually increase until the cartridge tracks the test cuts on the disc with minimal audible distortion.
    If misaligned,the cartridge is unlikely to cause any damage to itself,but it will mistrack,and will eventually damage your discs.
    Did you buy the Project from a dealer?.....if so,they should be able to run you through the setup procedure also.