Project Debut Carbon turntable, but which Amp and Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by tomreid, Feb 22, 2013.

1. tomreid

tomreid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've been so impressed by the resurgence of interest in vinyl that I think I may buy my first new turntable since 1987!

I really like the Project Debut Carbon, but which amp and speakers should I match it with?

I don't want to spend more than around £1000 on the total system, less if I can get away with it.

Some interesting reviews on what hifi, but I can't seem to settle on anything.

I'd be listening mainly to classic rock on it, my old Pink Floyd and Genesis records.

Current system is:

Dual 505 II turntable with Ortofon cartridge
    Cambridge Audio Topaz AM 10 amp
    Tannoy Mercury F1 speakers

Any help gratefully received.

cheers

Tom.

2. luckysim0n

luckysim0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I have that exact turntable and mine is with a Marantz PM6004 and some cheap Mission floorstanders it sounds lush and like you I like a bit of Genesis and Floyd
    I think due to the size of my room some standmounts might have sounded better
    By the way there is a se debut carbon that is worth the bit extra wish I had realised

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    Check out this thread, I made several recommendations for some one with a similar budget -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-f...5-marantz-pearl-lite-upgrading-my-system.html

With that kind of money, about the only thing to consider is that the amp you select has a built-in PHONO stage. That shouldn't be a problem though, as many amps still have this feature. If by change you end up needing and external PHONO stage, that is only about £100, and should be workable with your budget.

However, to really zero in on recommendations we need more information, like what is your source of music? Do you plan to use the system for movie watching? Any restrictions on size or style for the speakers?

If you can still find them the Yamaha AS500 was rated as the best amp in its price class, 85w/ch per channel to 8 ohms, and price at an extremely modest £230. A common amp available for many many sources. Though that's not the only worthy amp, it just fits your budget nicely. If you don't need an DAC, then we can find and upgrade in the amp.

If you need a DAC (digital to analog converter) that will run you another £200. Which still leaves you about £550 for speakers. In the thread linked to above, I linked to several very good speaker in that price range.

That should at least get you started.

Steve/bluewizard