Project Cars 3

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this. It looks a lot like Drive Club - which is no surprise given that some ex-Revolution guys worked on it.

It looks like they have very much aimed it at console players who are playing with a pad. Jimmy Broadbent wasn't impressed with it at all and compared it to a mobile game, but Eurogamer gave it a Recommended rating in their review.

It's Grid 3, I am actually playing it now, the game locked up after crossing the finish line. :(

Just note all sim reviews have slammed it, it's an arcade game so that's to be expected. If you liked Grid 2 then your good to go.

Not sure they should really be calling Project Cars? To me, that shouts SIM and this looks far from it.

I have just finished the first championship which involved 5 races and these are my thoughts so far.

Just to be clear I am playing it on the PS4 Pro.

It's Grid 3, it's almost identical in every way to Grid 2, I think Codematers was working on Grid 3 and then handed it to Slightly Mad when they bought them.

The graphics are all over the place, one minute it looks good the next a blurry blocky mess, the cars ahead of you are low resolution and the wings on the back of those cars look like they have been lifted from a 1990's game. In my first race which was at dusk I could barely see the speedo and rev counter it was so blocky, then in the next race set in the daytime it was clear and looked good. At the end of a race the camera flicks to a chase cam mode and for the first 3 to 5 seconds every car on screen is just a solid block of colour until they get drawn in.
I have the graphics set to the highest resolution setting and haven't tried the framerate setting yet.

I am playing this with the controller and it's superb, the cars respond and handle really well to the inputs and everything feels tight.

The car sounds are nothing special and sounds dull when compared to other car games, it's not a simulator of course but I am sure a walrus playing an organ made these car sounds. Digital plop.

I set the AI to Hard and the aggressive level to high, they give you a good challenge for about 3/4 of the race then they seem to slow down and you end up winning with a 7 or 8 second gap. I will increase the difficulty and see how I get on. The AI also seem to break all the laws of physics and will brake 500yds before a corner but somehow avoid slowing down, you can be neck to neck with an AI car and it brakes while your still going flat out and you don't move ahead of it, when you brake 2 to 3 hundred yards later the AI drive around you at high speed and you come out the corner 2 or 3 car lengths behind it.

The racing is really fun though with you being knocked around whilst always fighting for position, one simple mistake can cost you 7 or 8 places.

One other thing i would like to mention are the amount of button presses after each race, you have to press a button 7 times with a 3 to 4 second gap in between each press just to end that race. It's totally ridiculous and there is no need for it at all.

Not sure they should really be calling Project Cars? To me, that shouts SIM and this looks far from it.

Apparently it's more aimed as a sequel to the SHIFT games.
Dirt 5 and WRC 9 which looks amazing.

The last WRC looked really good, but never got around to picking it up. I'm a big fan of WRC, so will get one at some point.

Apparently it's more aimed as a sequel to the SHIFT games.

The last WRC looked really good, but never got around to picking it up. I'm a big fan of WRC, so will get one at some point.
I have been looking at some gameplay videos over the last few days of WRC 9, the last one I watched was Jimmy Broadbent who thought WRC 8 was the best rally game ever and he said 9 was almost the same but with more tracks and events. He was playing on the new Kenya track and it looked awesome.

I have spent a few more hours on this and it has some audio and graphical bugs but nothing bad. I would suggest to anyone thinking about buying this to wait for a sale which i don't think will be a long way away.

I tried using the steering wheel earlier and it is unusable no matter what settings you adjust. In the default profile the car starts to sway from left to right the faster you go, once you hit 80mph you loose all control of the steering and spin out.
Next I tried using the in game calibration system which solved the swaying of the default setting but now the wheel needs an almost full turn just to move a little to the left or right.
The feedback system just makes up what the wheel does, on a straight track with no cars around you it feels like you being slammed from all directions and driving over a cattle grid.

I feel like I need a new rally game. WRC 8 is currently £13.50 so I'm quite tempted.

I'm gonna throw my thoughts into the ring and deliberately doing so after only approx 3 hours on it (playing on PS4 Pro with higher resolution selected as opposed to framerate), my intention is to post an update when I've sank more time into it to see if my view changes.

I intentionally sat back and waited on some impressions videos before deciding if this was for me, mainly due to being confused and worried about the marketing and with what direction this was going in and whether SMS gamble was going to pay off. I watched some vids and even though most were negative and diverse I still opted to take a punt on it because most negative thoughts seemed to centre around the fact SMS had essentially ditched their Community Assisted Racing Simulation (CARS) mantle to push for a more arcade easy to pick up racer. A lot of the conclusions drawn up online is that it isn't worthy of the Project CARS title but heres the thing, to me it ultimately looked like it could be fun and guess what......... it is (to me at least and this is only my opinion)

So far this is kind of like my guilty pleasure of racing games, quite addictive and a nice pick up and play kinda game with some nice arcadey handling that is extremely similar to last year's Grid and if you ignore the fact it's called Project Cars it could easily pass as a Grid spin off. Now its not without its issues some of which can be frustrating, graphics as @DAZ UK 74 as said are very hit and miss, I've even encountered glitches when in the cockpit view, the Ai can be a pain in the ass to overtake when they're packed so tightly and they seem to be superhuman in wet conditions but ultimately I'm having a lot of fun with it so far and it has that 'one more try' pull to entice you to tick off all the race objectives (corner mastering, overtakes etc) even if you have finished in 1st place.

From the time I've played so far I really do like the track variety but then I always thought PC2 had a good selection of tracks especially some of the smaller British venues like Oulton Park and Snetterton, plus there is a variety of events from standard races, hot laps and break out (drive into billboards to rack up a score to beat a target) and I think I've read somewhere that there are 210 cars included, not sure how different they are all going to feel to drive as I've only drove 3 so far but time will tell. My conclusion is that if you enjoyed Grid then you'll get something out of this, if some are still unsure then wait for sale price but I certainly recommend it. I only hope they can and will iron out the kinks and not give up on it due to bad press or feedback, the reality could be they churned it out as a kinda filler until Dirt 5 releases but I sincerely hope not.

Really enjoying this.... very similar to Driveclub, which has probably been my most played PS4 driving title. Lots of daily options online with daily hotlap challenges to break things up.

There is an option on frame play vs resolution...having tried both the game is much more playable with the frame rate option and I can’t tell the difference with drop in resolution!!

I have encountered a bug that is annoying, it's in the Road A class and it's the first event which is a hot lap, a few seconds after taking control of the car it gives me an invalid lap notification and it won’t register a time.

I am so glad I didn’t bother getting this , I was watching supergt last night , what’s with the cars bouncing up and down whilst appearing to float above the track surface , and those exhaust flames , they were cheesy 20 years ago , for all its faults with the penalty system I’ll stick with GTS.....

Yeah dodged a bullet with this one, don't think i've see such a rough looking bug ridden unfinished broken game as PC3 in quite some time.

Yeah dodged a bullet with this one, don't think i've see such a rough looking bug ridden unfinished broken game as PC3 in quite some time.

i guess it may have potential , look at what happened with DC , may ......

DC was already incredible at the start, it was just the online that wasn't working at the start.

I'm feeling the same as @DAZ UK 74 and the cracks were starting to show along with some major annoyances that sucked the enjoyment out of it and instead just left me feeling frustrated.

Plus I know the graphics are a bit ropey but there's no excuse for this kind of stuff and my biggest worry is that it will not get supported very well post launch.

I'm feeling the same as @DAZ UK 74 and the cracks were starting to show along with some major annoyances that sucked the enjoyment out of it and instead just left me feeling frustrated.

Plus I know the graphics are a bit ropey but there's no excuse for this kind of stuff and my biggest worry is that it will not get supported very well post launch.

How the hell does that get through QC. 😂

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom