raadek

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had been running 2.1 speaker setup for years due to the perceived complexity of running speaker cables to the back of a listening room. As we live in a rented house, any major building work was out of question and even drilling is not ideal and should be limited to a bare minimum.

Just recently I've upgraded front speakers to something more decent (Dali Spektor 2 & Dali Spektor Vokal) and ended up buying a new receiver (Denon AVR-X1600H) as well (was politely told by other members here not to hook up new speakers to my old amp 😎 ). As the new receiver supports Atmos and sports 7 channels, it got me into thinking how possibly can I install more speakers into our living room, which is rather cramped, serving multiple purposes, including home office and cat entertainment area ;)).

Firstly, I thought about some speaker stands for surrounds to get me to 5.1. However, then I started reading about Atmos speaker location, which ideally should be placed somewhere high up. That was my lightbulb moment - why run cables around the floor where are multiple obstacles, gaps, doors, etc., rather than around the ceiling?

So I purchased two second-hand pairs of fairly light-weight (but decent) Mordaunt-Short Alumni 2 speakers and following items from Screwfix:
Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 13.01.57.png

Trunking is self-adhesive, so the only drilling required was for the speaker mounts.

And that's the end result:
2020-12-18 12.42.33.jpg

In conclusion, I shouldn't have been procrastinating all these years, should have done it much earlier! 😎

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom