1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proj. Noob help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by anthony.s, Jan 21, 2004.

1. anthony.s

anthony.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi,
    I have been offered 2 projectors v. cheap (£50 for the pair) by a friend who runs a leasing company, so as you can imagine they are not the latest spec as they are returns from an expired lease and were used for presentations in an office environment.
    One is an Epson EMP3300 which from the specs is 640x480 max. resolution has a zoom lens. The other is an Infocus 420 which has a resolution of 800x600 and a fixed lens. They have VGA, composite and S-Vid inputs
    Both have recently been serviced and come with spare bulbs and all leads etc. Are they OK for playing the odd DVD on and connecting a console to? Which would be the better of the two or should I not bother at all?

Thanks for any assistance

2. David Scott

David Scott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you have to lose? You'd definitely sell them for more than that if they've been serviced.

I'll have them if you don't;)

David

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    You'll probably find that they don't have very good scaling or deinterlacing capabilities for vide like DVD, so the best solution would be to use a Radeon equipped PC with 5.1 sound card (complete box sans software can be made for around £200). Check the htpc section for more info.

Failing that, an external scaler may be needed, but these are a bit more expensive for good quality.

I would go for the 800 x 600 model, and try it out to see what it looks like, then add the htpc or scaler later. Whatever you do though, you've got a real bargain there. :)

Gary.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agree with Gary...... buy them, make a basic dvd-playing pc, keep the 800x600 odel, pop the other on Ebay/Loot/whatever, you'll be watching movies on a big screen for little or nothing - it's a no-brainer entry to big screen entertainment... go for it!

Sean G.

5. anthony.s

anthony.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Oh thanks, they're not completely worthless then.
    My laptop has a radeon mobile card with s-vid out and I also have a PC with a radeon 9000. Will these be suitable? Do you use s-vid or VGA?I wouldn't be able to do 5.1 sound though. Maybe in the future.

Thanks for the replies.

This forum is great. The last time I looked in was when I bought my Yamaha amp.

6. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Definitely.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Use vga - the output will be scaled to fit (800 x 600) and progressive too.

You may have a few 'problems' when you play back youir dvds, such as slightly jerky motion on PAL but let us know, and they should be easily resolved.

Gary.

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Assume the lappy has dvd, should do fine (mine did at the outset..........)

Come back and tell us how you get on.

/ thinks....... I wouldn't mind playing with those pjs for £50........ Cheapo rear projection experiment for daughter's room, perhaps.... the possibilities....... Gary, what other DIY madness could we cook up for pocket money ?

Sean.

9. anthony.s

anthony.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I plugged my XBOX in last night as a quick test. It was only onto a wall but am well impressed. I will try the laptop and PC and see how varied the results are. This is so cool. I can see a more permanent arrangement needed and some re-positioning of the AV gear. My wife gonna love me :-(. Cheers again guys.

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hmmm, you've got me wondering now Sean, budget ideas for a budget pj - I don't think we could come up with anything that would be cheaper than the pj was though!

But I'll see what I can think of... mirror projection maybe? You could hide it in the ceiling and project via a small shaving mirror. :)

Gary.

11. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Gary, provided that the throw would work, I'd love a crack at doing a 5 - 6ft rear projection (folded throw, with two mirrors).

I saw a ear projection setup recently with a single mirror and a complete animal of a Barco LCD projector............ perfectly viewable in normal lighting conditions in a very large conference room - I didn't measure the screen size but if memory serves it was a good 6ft wide....... Got the guys who owned the place to give me a peep "behing the scenes" - drool worthy - Mid Atlantic Rack, Crestron room coltrol, motorised curtains, various lighting scenes, the works......... Mmmmmm.

Daughter has 12 ft of sliding door wardrobes in her room - four doors each 3ft wide...... be cool to be able to slide back the middle two leaving a 5/6ft wide screen onview - gaming heaven !!

Sean.

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I'll need a bigger shaving mirror then... :)

And now I'm thinking about the sliding doors I have in my bedroom!

Gary.