1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProgScan vs Component Input

Discussion in 'TVs' started by BadTaste, Jan 28, 2002.

1. BadTaste

BadTaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All, after extensively reading the various posts and threads, I'm still none the wiser on what TV to go for.

I'm considering a Tosh 32ZP18P vs Pana TX32PB50.

One has Component Input, the other ProgScan.

What's the better feature to have, considering I will mainly use it for watching DVD's via RGB (and Component Input when I get better player)?

I would've thought the two features go hand in hand, and would both be available together in one TV!

Oh and one more thing. If you're going to spend £1000+ on a big TV, chances are you already have a reasonable audio setup. Why can't I buy a TV without audio??:mad:

Cheers! :D

2. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on Prog Scan, but I can't honestly see any difference between component and RGB Scart on my 32ZP13P (from Pioneer 737).

I am pretty disappointed with my Tosh and hugely disappointed with Toshiba's response to problems with this set. I wouldn't recommend anyone else to get one.

John

3. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi BadTaste

I have just had the same decision to make that has you in a quandary, the tosh 32zp or the feature rich panny 32pb.

Of interest to me i found that the tosh 32zp has a mode that displays all the lines of an image at the same time - the natural setting (not quite Pscan, as the tosh set use lines from the previous frame) but it does do this in 100hz mode and it looks good. -nice :)

What finally settled it for me in favour of the toshiba set was the picture quality. Sat side by side both sets playing the same dvd from identical dvd players via rgb scart, the toshiba has the best picture, it was quite easy for the discerning eye to see. i did not use the component input, i can only hope it is better still.

As much as i'd enjoy the features of the panny (dual tuners...mmmm) for the first week or so of owning the set, when it comes down to day to day use, all i really wanted was the best screen to look at.

As you are almost saying yourself .....you don't want to be spending on gimmicks.

i hope this helps

cheers :)

4. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats highly likely. All display devices natively use RGB. The only reason you might find component outputs on your DVD player is because thats the video format stored on a DVD. If you use the component outputs, the display device has to convert it to RGB anyway. It all comes down to whether the component-to-RGB convertor in the display device is better than the component-to-RGB convertor in the DVD player.

If you have a DVD source with progressive output (and a progressive input TV) this will make a huge difference compared to the difference between RGB or component outputs.

Absolutely. And if you have a digibox why do you even need a built-in tuner. The answer - buy a plasma :D

Allan

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,216
    or projector...

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allan,

You missed two conversions there, the 100 hz TVs work the signal in component video format too, so if you feed RGB, it will be converted to component, processed, then converted back to RGB...