1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive signal on Alis panels

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Arshad, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that progressive scan dvd players make no difference to the PQ on the Alis panels(1024x1024) such as Hitachi. Is this true?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Ha, wait for the fireworks! Logically and technically, it may evendegrade performance, but nobody knows, cos nobody knows for certain what goes on inside an ALIS panel. ALIS was designed as a commercial display, for total idiots to be able to hook up a PC, and no matter what they did it would look reasonable. It was sold into the HC market, many would believe, as a cynical move to cut losses, as it wasn't a runaway success as a commercial display. However, it turns out to do a distinctly above average job for many people, especially with a less than perfect signal, hence it's success as an integrated TV. It's less sensitive to signal all round, IMHO, it's difficult to foul up completely, but likewise, is less likely to really shine with a high end DVD player.

3. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw,

So what are your thoughts on the e-alis technology then?

I'm not pretty sure about the PQ quality on the earlier alis panels but I have seen the new hitachi 5000 series and PQ is pretty cool.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Hate alis I'm afraid, I'm an HCPC person, and own a 28ft lounge and a PLV-70 sanyo, 1366x768. I'd like a PW6 to watch telly on, can't justify the cost currently, too busy to watch it too! Watching OZ v NZ at 8ft across now though!:D You just can't get at an alis panel, it's been done to death, alis owners get out the napalm whenever their screens are criticised about this, and one guy here, name escapes me currently, tried to get his screen to accept 1024x1024. He could get 1280x1024, and 1024x768, and thought this was evidence that 1024x1024 could be done. Even if it can, it will still be interlaced, it just doesn't float my boat, high res or not. I keep promising myself I'll never post again about alis, but I always rise to the bait. I never recommend them to clients, and will move heaven and earth not to work with them, especially the ones with media boxes, they're bad enough on Pioneers and Panasonics.

5. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

It was me with the screen resolution thing - nothing to do with 1024x1024 - it was a test to find out whether 1024 seperate lines could be displayed at the same time (since no one could work out whether or not the ALiS screens displayed 1024i, 1024p or 512i, 512p when fed a progressive source. As the photo's showed - it displayed all 1024 lines. Never really tried it with 1024x768 - it wasn't what I was testing for.

Here is the original post

MAW,

Neither the Radeon or Nvidia cards I have will output a 1024x1024 resolution - however I am only interested in testing the line resolution - so a 1280x1024 output should suffice - I dont mind scaling occuring on the horizontal lines - its the vertical I want to check.

If I just output an image with only the odd or even lines lit then it should be relatively easy to figure out whats going on. If its downscaling the whole image to 512 lines then it will get a little trickier to see whats going on - but I will cross that bridge when I come to it !!

RickB