1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive scanning Denon worth it?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Neal, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Neal

Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42" Panasonic plasma - I've read that the best image you can get is using Region 1 DVDs with progressive scan. I was planning on getting the DENON 2800. Does anyone agree that this is better than using Region 2 DVDs?

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bear in mind that this machine will also play Region 2 discs in progressive once you have applied a hack available off the web.

You'll be hard pushed to find one too. I tried before Christmas and was told even if I ordered one then I was realistically looking at the end of January for delivery.

3. Neal

Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which is better? Progressive scanned Region 1 or progressive scanned Region 2? Or is the quality the same?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    There is no definative answer to this question.....

A well de-interlaced NTSC disc may be better than a badly de-interlaced PAL one. Some PAL discs are badly encoded in the first place compared to their NTSC counterparts.....

The de-interlacing in the DenonDVD2800 is better than that inside your Plasma. If you have the latest D4 version of the Panasonic it will, as some have mentioned, be able to accept a progressive PAL signal. If you have the previous D3 version it will not.....

You should try and get a demo of the DVD2800 an Arcam FMJ and perhaps an off board unit like an IScan or Quadscan.

Have fun,

Gordon

5. Neal

Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd heard that unlike NTSC there was no standard PAL systen that can be progressively scanned. That's why there are no progressive scanning DVD players for PAL. Or is that rubbish?

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    It's sort of rubbish...

The DVD consortium, who give out licences to manufacture DVD players, never put down a specification for any form of copy protection on a 576P (pal progressive) signal.

So they will not licence any DVD player manufacturers who provide such an output. Macrovision have a copy ptrotection system in place which will work with PAL progressive and there are companies who are pushing to have this ratified so PAL progressive outputs can be enabled on more devices.

There is no reason why an off board scaler can not de-interlace a normal PAL signal to create PAL progressive.

Gordon

7. Neal

Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FINAL QUESTION then: is Region 1 progressively scanned better than Region 2 UNSCANNED?

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    OK: Couple of things here....Your plasma is already showing you everything progressively. That is how it works. By feeding a progressive signal to it instead of an interlaced one you are just changing where the de-interlacing is done and, hopefully, how effectively.

The answer to your question is that there is not a definative answer. Badly de-interlaced NTSC will look bad, possibly worse than interlaced PAL. Well de-interlaced NTSC will look better than interlaced PAL....This is just my opnion of course. There may be others who would argue differently

Gordon

9. Neal

Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that answer. Your experience is well appreciated.