Progressive scan?

steve1967

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hiya, I bought a Panny TH42PX70 a week ago and just switched my Sony dvd to progressive scan. On doing so I get audio but no picture. Does this mean that the tv doesn`t support progressive scan or am I missing something? Cheers. :thumbsup:

Hi Steve

What type of cable are you connecting the DVD to the TV with? Only component and HDMI can carry progressive scan signals, not SCART.

I`m using a scart lead mate. There`s no HDMI connection on the back of the dvd player :( I`m thinking about buying a HD dvd player anyway! Aldi have got one on Thursday for £35 with HDMI lead. Worth a look maybe.

It must have a component output if it supports prog scan. Can you try that?

I wouldn't imagine any upscaling DVD player costing £35 is going to be worth looking at. If you want a good one, take a look at the Oppo 981 from crtprojectors, great player and does a good scaling job, about £160 I think.

I wouldn't imagine any upscaling DVD player costing £35 is going to be worth looking at. If you want a good one, take a look at the Oppo 981 from crtprojectors, great player and does a good scaling job, about £160 I think.
Sorry to be thick but I don`t really know what a component output is
:blush:

Thanks for that :thumbsup: I`ve just been reading up on the Oppo 981, many mixed reviews but it does seem to be a good player:eek: Basically from what I can gather, a lot depends on which tv it`s paired with. There`s also a problem with blocking (whatever that is)!

This is the info on HDMI dvd player:-A DVD with one of the highest number of features on the market today. It is compatible with any HD TV – and we’re even including a FREE HDMI cable in the already incredible price.

Special digital process upgrades standard DVD quality to virtual HD quality.

HDMI connection means no loss of picture or sound quality
Card reader (view all your pictures on your TV)
Front USB input
5.1 channel output with AC3 Dolby digital decoder
Full function remote control (with batteries)
Front headphones socket
Progressive scan
DVD+ R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, JPEG CD, KODAK Picture CD, MP3 CD compatible
DTS decoder
FREE HDMI cable

It all depends what Aldi mean by 'Virtual HD Quality'. Not a lot I would suspect for £34.99. I suppose it might be worth a try, but don't expect too much. As for 'A DVD with one of the highest number of features on the market today' and 'no loss of picture or sound quality', need I say more ? Total hype for what is likely to be, at best, only a modest bit of kit.

It all depends what Aldi mean by 'Virtual HD Quality'. Not a lot I would suspect for £34.99. I suppose it might be worth a try, but don't expect too much. As for 'A DVD with one of the highest number of features on the market today' and 'no loss of picture or sound quality', need I say more ? Total hype for what is likely to be, at best, only a modest bit of kit.

Yeah, could be right, you get what you pay for eh? :thumbsup:

Your telly may do a better job of upscaling already so the picture is potentially worse.

One more question. With HDMI cables they have HDCP copy protection! Anyone know what this is?

One more question. With HDMI cables they have HDCP copy protection! Anyone know what this is?
The cables do not have the protection, the signal does. The digital data is encrypted to prevent copying. HDCP is not required for DVD, only HD sources such as Bluray or HD-DVD, SkyHD etc.

The cables do not have the protection, the signal does. The digital data is encrypted to prevent copying. HDCP is not required for DVD, only HD sources such as Bluray or HD-DVD, SkyHD etc.

Aahh right, thanks for that :thumbsup:

Thanks for that :thumbsup: I`ve just been reading up on the Oppo 981, many mixed reviews but it does seem to be a good player:eek: Basically from what I can gather, a lot depends on which tv it`s paired with. There`s also a problem with blocking (whatever that is)!

my uncle bought this 3m component lead from maplin's

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=43111&doy=3m9

a philips dvd player from currys with progressive scan output (about £29.00)

and attached it to his toshiba lcd tv (32wlt58)

he had to use a scart lead for part of the process
(needed to follow the option to search for dvd's progressive scan output)

considering it is not hd the picture quality is terrific

That`s a good price from maplins. I`d need the audio leads too, have to check out their prices for those too.

That`s helpful and interesting. Just found one on ebay for £38 + p+p. But it does state that it may not play some copies and I have many "backup" discs!

That`s helpful and interesting. Just found one on ebay for £38 + p+p. But it does state that it may not play some copies and I have many "backup" discs!

:nono: I don't think you'll find too many people on here recommending how to make sure pirated movies work

are you sure?

the leaflet says - Plays it all
•Movies: DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, (S)VCD, DivX
•DivX Ultra Certified for enhanced playback of DivX videos
•Music: CD, MP3-CD, CD-R/RW & Windows Media™ Audio
•Picture CD (JPEG) with music (MP3) playback

are you sure?

the leaflet says - Plays it all
•Movies: DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, (S)VCD, DivX
•DivX Ultra Certified for enhanced playback of DivX videos
•Music: CD, MP3-CD, CD-R/RW & Windows Media™ Audio
•Picture CD (JPEG) with music (MP3) playback

That`s just what the seller stated, just incase maybe.

:nono: I don't think you'll find too many people on here recommending how to make sure pirated movies work

I didn`t realise it was a problem to play copies of the originals which I actually own. I never play the originals, they`re kept upstairs in mint condition and I copy my own films!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom