1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive scan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by memoryex, Nov 23, 2001.

1. memoryex

memoryex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hiya all

first time poster :) Ive just recently bought a pioneer 737. I am thinking of buying a tv with progressive scan and was wondering if there is any way of connecting the 737 to a non-component input tv so i can get progressive scan from the player?

TIA

ian

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There's no solution at the moment. Look out for the Loewe 40" 16:9 CRT tv early next year which is meant to have a pro-scan input and should be all plasmas hands-down.

Cost is to be £3,600.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    I bet when you were sold/bought the DVD player with the progrressive scan ability, nobody told you that
    a) you need a projector or plasma screen or Loewe TV to watch it on and
    b) it won't look that good even then, and if progressive scan is really your bag, then

i) a HCPC and a projector is a much better solution in terms of picture quality and
    ii) a normal DVD player (progressive scan or not) plus a scaler is the best solution in terms of ease of use.

4. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

To actually answer your question, the progressive scan output is only available over the Component connections. You can not use the composite or S-Video connections for progressive scan, they will only pass Interlaced (i.e. 'normal') signals.

As the others have mentioned there are relatively few TV sets that will accept progressive scan (and note that not all TV sets that have component inputs will actually accept Progresive scan as well)

So, unless you invest in a suitable TV set, Plasma or projector I am afraid that the progressive scan feature is a waste of money.

This kind of thing is becoming much more prevelant - there are plenty of Progressive Scan DVD players being sold because of that feature without the customer being told what is actually needed - and it doesn't help when magazines like HCC review these players, and don't even test the progressive scan output (see Denon 2800 review)

anyway, hope this helps!

5. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Richard

are you saying the Silicion Image chip in my Denon 2800 feed into my 10ht will not give me a better picture than if I was to let the 10ht do its own thing with an interlaced input!! not forgeting 3:2 pulldown. thou I admit the sony does a great job on S-Video but we are referring here to progressive component! interested in your response:rolleyes:

6. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard

my hand is quicker than my brain..my last post is not a criticism on your reply to Ian what I really meant was.. do you believe a progressive scan player like the denon 2800 is a benifit to a pj like the 10ht or is progressive scan a scam to sell more units

sorry again

regards laurie

7. memoryex

memoryex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks for all your replys :)

ive bought myself a toshiba 40who8b to go with my dvd player. lol

hopefully get it this week

i'll let ya all know how it goes.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Ian. I bought a 737 a little while ago, as did Fulabeer and Nigel also has one. Even without prog scan, it is a brilliant player via RGB or S Video anyway. I want a projector in the near future to team up with the 737. It is a very good player indeed. I love mine.

Whatever you do, you'll have an excellent picture!!!!!!!

Sit back and enjoy.

How much did you pay for it if I may ask? I managed a good deal on mine so it is super brilliant value. But I wouldn't have minded paying full price, seeing just how good it is having lived with it.

9. memoryex

memoryex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    the 40who8b cost me 1100 including delivery and the 737 cost me 400 including delivery. Multiregion, macro disable too boot. Your right about the picture though :)

10. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Laurie
    Sorry for the delay in replying, just got back from Frankfurt

As my post said;

I would certainly consider a 10HT a 'suitable projector'. I would expect a progressive DVD player or an Iscan pro to do a significantly better job of de-interlacing than what is built into virtually any projector.

What I was trying to get across was that selling a progressive scan dvd player on the specific benefits of progresive scan to someone with an interlace only display device is somewhat naughty on the part of the salesperson (or magazine or whatever) - However this doesn't mean that any progressive player is out of consideration for that person -if it's other features and benefits are what the customer wants, then that's fine

I hope this clears it up!
    (And I hope any Sony + prog scan owners will chime in with their views)

11. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard

One of the advantage of the 10ht + denon 2800 is the gamma control..really works well

one of the bad points is the dennon has its own control on video out eg color-sharp-bright-contrast which makes it hard to set up pj using VE or Avia some way has to be found to calibrate the denon first!!:confused: using a crt calibrated with another dvd player then adjust the denon controls to get the right settings!!
    cheers Laurie