1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan

Discussion in 'TVs' started by James M, Jan 12, 2005.

1. James M

James M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Am I right in thinking if I connect my PD30 and SD-240 via component then I need to set the PD30 and SD-240 to progressive scan to get the best PQ or will both unit default to that?

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    You will need to manually switch to progressive.Dont forget to switch from rgb to yuv[on the dvd player] whilst still using scart,then swap cables.

3. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a simple setup; VHS recorder connected to DVD player via scart, DVD player connected to TV via component and scart, terrestrial aerial connected to VHS recorder and then to TV.

AV4 is the VHS recorder and DVD player channel and AV4C is for the DVD player alone. I assume AV4 is RGB through scart and AV4C is component. I assume progressive scan works on both channels for the DVD player although there is a noticeable difference in picture quality. DVD player is Sony 955.

Do I need to set SCAN MODE to Progressive for AV4C and AV4 channels? The Panasonic manual says that "when PAL 60 or NTSC signal is received, the TV will select Progressive automatically".

What's this about switching RGB and YUV and then swaping cables?

4. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If anyone is currently using scart only from dvd to display but wants to change to component,I was pointing out that you have to change video modes before changing cables.As component leads wont recognise any changes.

5. mfairclough

mfairclough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Toshiba SD240 connected via a good quality scart lead to a 29" Panasonic TV which is approximateley 6 years old. I'm happy with the picture quality, but have heard that using progressive scan will significantly improve it. However, I'd like to know the answers to the following questions before investing in a good quality component lead :

1. Will a 6 year old TV be able to display progressive scan?
    2. If yes, then should my picture quality improve noticibly or
    will I only get this benefit from a newer large screen
    e.g. 46" plasma

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No, it will not.

7. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    Ive tried asking on another thread without success so hope you dont mind me jumping in. My tosh 36zp, in the marketing blurb suggests it has its own deinterlacing. In other words feed it a component interlace pic and hey presto it turns it into progressive. Anyone know if thats true. I only ask as ive just changed my pioneer 565 for a 575 and can see no difference. Switching from prog to interlace is the same pq.
    regards