Progressive scan...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bananas, Jan 22, 2001.

1. bananas

bananas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Mercury..
    the TV needs to be able to handle an HDTV signal, that is, an non-interlaced signal.

It seems that no UK tv's have this capability, although they are very popular in the US.

At the moment, TV's run in an interlaced mode 480i (lines of resolution, interlaced) but to benefit from the progressive scan, the tv needs to be able to handle 480p (progressive)
    Im sure that there are some projectors in the UK that can handle that, but ive done a lot of research, and no UK tv's can take the progressive signal.

At the moment, Toshiba are NEARLY there with offering a few tv's with the Component inputs (which are required for Progressive scan) and they are said to offer a marginally better picture than RGB.

Its very frustrating that Sony and Toshiba BOTH have official UK dvd players that can output Progressive scan, but they dont support it with the TV's!

Its absolutly crazy, and really frustating.

Youre also right about the fact that only Region 1 dvd's can be outputted via the progressive scan.

I think thats due to copy protection issues, and is the reason progressive scan took so long to come out in the states.

So, I wouldnt recommend buying a dvd player for its progressive scan capabilities only unless youre going to be buying a compatible projector.

Hope this helps, and if ive made any errors, im sure that the knowledgable people on this board will correct me!

2. mercury

mercury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply bananas, that clears it up.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Actually there are UK tv's that can accept progressive inputs. Look for sets with VGA input. This is 480P. Of course, it is RGB though, but then there will be DVD players that will do RGB progressive.

Best to ask this question over at the progressive scan forum!

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

4. bananas

bananas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Gordon..
    I wasnt including the Plasma screens in this (actually, I probably should have mentioned that)
    Along with some projectors, the plasma screens (some of them) DO have the progressive scan input...

Again though, unless youre really serious, either a projector OR a plasma is out of the budget for most people.

I think my point is, is that in the US, you can get a variety of CRT, RPTV's in a choice of sizes and budgets that accept progressive scan, and its just a bit annoying that we have to spend in excess of £8k or so for the privaledge.

Anyway, yes, ask this question in the Progressive scan section, they are BOUND to know more than me!

5. mercury

mercury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick question: from what i understand progressive scan is only noticeable on video projectors that carry it, and on top of that only usable with NTSC-discs. Is this true, or would i be able to benefit from progressive scan (on say, the pioneer 737) using regular region-2 discs and a regular tv?

6. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er - bananas

There are CRT Tvs with progressive input as Gordon stated - Have a look at Loewe they have a VGA input as a cheap option which will give compatibility with RGB progressive.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,566
    Moved this thread to the progressive scan forum.

8. hudson806

hudson806

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err,

I'm now even more confused about progressive scan. You mean to say that the Loewe Aconda's VGA will accept some sort of RGB output from a progressive scan DVD player?

For example, I can hook an Aconda w/ VGA input to, say, a Pioneer 737 and enjoy Progressive Scan DVD in all its glory? I thought progressive scan was only possible through component video.

If this isn't the case, could someone, _please_ tell me the easy way to go progressive scan using a CRT TV and without any of that HCPC business?

9. bananas

bananas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry guys..I think im getting confused.
    So Loewe offer me progressive scan via a vga connector?? So I have to output through a pc for that, right??
    Or if its RGB, then isnt that confusing the matter even more??
    Ive got component outputs on my dvd player, but to attach this to the Loewe tv...er...id need what exactly...
    Im just using this as an example, as I dont have any plans to buy the Loewe tv..but seems silly to only offer PS via a VGA input or via RGB..
    Arrgh!!

Ive actually just got a new Toshiba Catalgue, and they now have a 32" CRT with component inputs...Its a start anyway.

10. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no easy way. No progressive scan DVD players have VGA outputs on them, it is not allowed in the DVD spec at the moment.

All the progressive scan CRT TVs in UK/Europe that allow progressive scan input do so via PC type VGA. You will therefore need to use a HTPC or find a progressive YUV component to progressive VGA converter (I don't think it's even worth looking for one of those).

You will have to wait until UK/European TVs have progressive YUV component inputs on them. And who knows when that will be!

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Ludae: Would I not be correct in assuming that what you refer to as VGA is in fact just a HD15 socket that is internally wired for RGB+SYNC. This socket can also be configured for YUV (just as scarts can carry different info on the same pins).

If this is the case then all that is required is a DVD player that outputs progressively via RGB+SYNC(could be from scart or seperate sockets) and a suitable cable that terminates in a HD15 plug.

I expect that such a DVD player will be available soon, if not already.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

12. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When they state VGA they are just refering to it in the generic sense, it is more familiar to many people than any other technical name. It is not necessarily limited to VGA as 640x480, they may handle higher resolutions but usually only interlaced.

The current CRT TVs with VGA progressive input options expect nothing but RGB + Sync either interlaced or progressive. The only controls then still available will be contrast, brightness and switch between 4:3 and 16:9 as far as I can find out. There is no reason why a TV couldn't be designed to accept many different signals via SCART or VGA but I don't know of any that deviate from the standard.

Sounds OK, but no player exists yet AFAIK. Doesn't the Cinematrix mod allow such an output for both 480p & 576p etc?

I think that many of us are aching for a versatile DVD player with all the connectors, all the formats and all the frame rates imaginable. But then, who are we to dare say what we wish to spend our money on!

[This message has been edited by Ludae (edited 24-01-2001).]