Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Theriomophic, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Can someone please tell what is progressive Scan on my DVD Player. I have the sony s930v.

Thanks

Trevor

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    It means that your DVD player will give you 480P (progressive) instead of 480i (interlace) resolution.
    There are newer DVD players that offer 720P and maybe higher resolutions.

The highest you can get is 1080i or maybe 1080P.

All this means is that the picture quality is higher in the same way your PC uses a monitor rather than a standard TV in order to use higher resolutions.

HDTV compatible TVs (or Displays, as it isnt fair to call them TVs) offers higher resolutions in a similar way, by offering a component or DVi conection to get the 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i resolutions
    (the numbers may vary according to countries, but the quality is the same)

If you want your DVD player to use its progressive scan function you will need a display that offers at least 480P.

I think its shocking how shops offer new DVD players that support "Progressive scan" but then dont bother to tell you how you actualy use that function and that you need a TV or Display that supports this function!

It doesnt help if your a punter that only buys a DVD player just because it offers progressive scan!

Theres a lot more to a DVD player than wether its progressive or not! You need to conssider its Video D/A converter, as this is what really improves picture quality!

Anyway, this is roughly what progressive means, and if you want to use this function you will need to buy a component video cable and plug it into your DVD player and plug your DVD player into a TV that offers 480P or higher through component video conections.

:)

3. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    AML,

Many thanks for the prompt and informative reply. :thumbsup:

Trevor

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    or to answer you question in a way that you should find clearer:

A standard TV picture is interlaced. This means that it takes 2 refreshes for the whole screen to be updated. First the odd lines are updated - 1,3,5,7,9 etc and then on the second refresh the even lines -2,4,6,8 etc
    Film as seen at the cinema and the contents of most DVD disks is recorded in a noninterlaced or progressive format ie the whole screen is updated on every refresh.
    A TV that can display progressive scan and a DVD player that can send it to the TV should give a better, clearer picture. But as with most things in life its not that simple. You can buy a £30 ish progressive DVD player or a £500 interlaced player. You wont IMHO ever get a better picture from the £30 player, even although it is progressive.

Mark.