progressive scan woes with tosh sd520

anephric

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Please help me with my infernal problem as i have wasted a great deal of scheckels phoning Toshiba tech help to no avail (i think i knew more than the guy at the other end and my knowledge is scanty at best).

I have a region-free modded Tosh SD520 dvd player (does ntsc prog scan); just (today) had delivered Tosh 36ZP38 Picture Frame 2 tv (does pal+ Ntsc prog scan).

Now sorry to belong-winded: connected dvd player to tv EXACTLY as specified in manuals (components etc, set little switch at rear of player to "p" for prog etc). Set dvd player to progressive (playing ntsc discs):

Result: an admittedly very nice picture marred by wavy interference lines all over it (nothing to do with playback, lines continue with their provocative gesturing even when paused).

Tosh tech help perversely can't help: suggested everything in the manual then sending tv back.

PLEASE HELP: I'll mother your children for you. Is it a problem with my tv? Or my player (could the region-free modding have mucked up the prog-scan)? I have tried every possible combination of picture modes and cable swaps.

has anyone else had this problem?

Also, the tv refuses to give me an ntsc picture in rgb mode off my 520 (tho it'll give me one off my sd230): does it know that my player is chipped and hence is stopping picture display (i get sound, but just a blank blue screen)? Or is my 520 just sodded? (hope not, cos it's just gone out of warranty.

PLEASEpleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease help poor befuddled me.

regards,
anephric

Have you got the Video Output of the 520 set to Video or S-Video? It must be set to either of these to get a picture from the Component Outputs.

yeah, I've tried it on video and s-video: i get a picture, it's just covered with wavy lines of interference: it does this with any picture in component, not just prog-scan (though it is much worse in this mode).

I've bought some better quality leads today, so hopefully that might eradicate my problem.

thanks for the advice, tho.

regards,
Anephric

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

regards

Michael

yep, thanks for asking:

my tv was faulty -- the component inputs were getting interference somewhere along the line.

Returned it (no quibble from Robertsons Online, gr8 service by the way) and it's fine now, altho prog scan isn't all it's cracked up to be:

it's nice but it's not amazing.

thanks for the interest

regards,
anephric:p

I have a similar problem, but mine only affects progressive scan material. On my set on both pal and ntsc material there are wavy lines displayed across the screen. Robertson’s direct arranged for an engineer to look at the set. They arrived two days later and said there’s nothing wrong. Robertsons then expected me to pay for the engineers visit as there was no fault found. I’m still not happy with the progressive picture and currently have no way of checking if this is a fault or a product feature.

Why do you say progressive scan isn’t all that?

Thanks for your time,

Michael

The interference I was getting via component was only really noticeable in prog scan mode: it was there on all pictures input via the component jacks, but only very visable against pure blacks, etc. Prog scan just made it worse/more visable.

If you can't see it, look very closely at a pure black paused screen (catch a dvd movie during titles etc). It's there in both Pal and NTSC modes, regardless of prog scan input.

It sounds like you have the same problem as me: since a straight swap solved my problem (and I'd exhausted all other options via Toshiba tech help) I'd advise you to go for the same.

Is your tv still under warranty? Robertsons were nothing but conducive when i had a problem. They didn't even offer an engineer, just straight swap.

Honestly, it was a tech fault, not my/your imagination. It's faulty -- get it exchanged. If they refuse you can cite me as a precedent of a product swap solving this problem: I can pm you my purchase details etc if you get no joy.

regards,
anephric

Thanks for that. I'll give them a call tomorrow, I doubt they'll swap it out as I've had the set a few months now, although I had originally reported the problem ages ago.

Regards

Michael

Shouldn't make any difference how long you've had it, as long as it's in warranty.

Hope you get it sorted: it stressed me out for a bit (taking days off work, etc) but I was glad when I got a new set -- quality's excellent.

regards,
anephric

Thanks for your help. Toshiba sent an engineer to look a the set. He confirmed there was an issue, even though the original Robersons engineers said this was normal! Put it down to a bad capacitor on the power supply. The same Robersons engineers will have to come round and fit a replacement (I can't wait to see their faces). I'll be happy as long as the issue is resolved.

Hi Anephric & Chuwright,

I am soooo happy to have found this thread - I was going mental thinking that my £1500 TV had a fault this bad & nothing could be done about it.

I'd tried 2 different progressive scan dvd players & was thinking of investing in some serious mains noise filtering equipment(!)

I too have had an engineer come out, look at the fault & think it was OK, so I'm taking it up with Toshiba. What would be very useful to me to get this resolved as quickly as possible is (Chuwright) the job number of your Toshiba engineer that came out to see you. If they can link my case to yours then I hope it will be resolved more quickly.

Any info on your case you could provide would be most useful
(if you don't want to post it here then we'll exchange emails)

Thanks again guys,
regards
Dariusz

Hi Dariusz,

The original engineers were from D.K Audio, which company said your set was ok? Robertsons passed the details onto Toshiba. there is no job number, you should insist the company you bought the set from contact Toshiba, this is now a known fault with a solution. Just be persitant. It's taken me 6 months to get this far. but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

I bought the TV from COSTCO who use a company called Circuit Tech for their electronics servicing & repairs. After reading your posts I explained it all to them but they said that unless they hear it from Toshiba, they’re not going to do anything about it. Monday morning I’m calling Toshiba & I’m not coming off the phone till I get this sorted. If it’s a known problem I hope to have it fixed by the end of the week. I only bought the TV just before Christmas, so it’s brand new – I’d be pulling my hair out (or going on a killing spree !:-o ) if this dragged on for 6 months!

Hi, I've got a 32ZD26P and it also has progressive scan issues, it flickers along the top of the screen on all prog scan sources except my modded XBOX which is perfect. I really can't believe TOSHIBA still has technical issues with progressive scan on their newer sets it's not acceptable when thousands of pounds are being spent on a TV.

I have been informed that Toshiba now reconise that this is a fault. Aparently I was the first to report it (as if!). They've posted details of how to fix it on their technical website. Get the engineers to check again.

I've just had my 36ZP38 fixed ... no - sorry - my mistake... 'modified' (to work properly) ... Schmucks!
Yes, Toshiba now recognise it as a fault so info about it should be available to TV engineers. But just in case you're still stuck with a jobsworh that thinks this kind of fault is 'normal' - try this contact number.

Toshiba UK - Technical Manager : 01276 6945571

The guys at the end of this line know the script.

Hope this helps others reading this thread.

Laters

I've got the wavy lines too and the TV buzzes annoyingly at low volumes. I complained to the retailer last August and they sent a 3rd party out who said he thought the buzzing was acceptable and not as bad as some Sony sets. Have been trying again for the past couple of weeks to get the engineer back. He told me today that he's spoke to the Tosh rep who claims he hasn't heard of any problems and says the lines, buzzing etc are within Toshiba specs.

Will phone the above number to get some more info.

Left a message and Toshiba called back to tell me that there's a PSU capacitor mod to be carried out and will arrange with my retailer/local repair man. Thanks for the phone number.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom