1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan with Region 2 software

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DrMatt, Mar 19, 2003.

1. DrMatt

DrMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me? I have a growing catalogue of Region 2 DVDs and the time has come to get a little more home cinema.

I have my eye on a Panasonic PT-AE100E (now available online for very little money) and notice that it supports 480P progressive signals.

Can I derive a progressive signal from my PAL Region 2 discs?

Would a mid range progressive player such as the Tosh 520 do the trick or am a looking at something a bit less wallet friendly?

Thanks

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    PAL progressive scan would be 576p, unless you scaled it down to 480p which would lose some vertical detail, probably losing the benefit of progressive scan's enhanced vertical detail!

regards,
    Rob.

3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Dr Matt,

You will need a PAL progressive capable DVD player - the best value would be the Harmon Kardon DVD25 which retails for about £350. Out of the box it's R1 Prog Scan only but can be moddified easily.

search the DVD player section for more info.

4. bowlhead2000

bowlhead2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so are you saying that yes it's possible to feed it a PAL progressive signal, but that it won't look as impressive as an NTSC progressive ?

Just looked at the Panasonic's spec and it says :
    YPBPR signals
    525i (480i), 625 i, 525p (480p), 750p(720p), 1125i(1080i)

I picked up the proj at the weekend and don't have a prog scan DVD player yet - I'm just wondering how I can improve my kit at some point in the future.

Oh, just had a thought - playstation 2 on some titles offers PAL, NTSC and progressive scan if you have the right cables. But what sort of progressive scan is it ?

5. DrMatt

DrMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all, thankyou for your help. Finally my new toys are here and running. Thanks to 'common' I auditioned the HK DVD 25 at sevenoaks and what a fantastic image (plus they will install the firmware upgrade for you). I couldn't see where the extra 650 quid would go on an arcam dv88+. Running into my PT-AE100 the PJ is v happy and the setup screen shows it's in '625P' mode (yep, the manual doesn't tell you that, but it can be done). The difference between PAL interlaced and PAL progressive is like the difference between a Spectrum and a PC. I cannot overstate how much of an improvement it makes with this LCD pj. I has been claimed elsewhere that the image is around 40% brighter into the bargain and I certainly agree with that. Let the popcorn eating commence. :clap: