1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan with Plasma ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tiberious, Oct 27, 2000.

1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I am still undecided on whether to get the new Sony Grand Wega , or really go for it and get the Pioneer 502 Plasma Screen. My question is this.The Sony has DRC which improves the resolution by 4 times( but from previous enquiries cannot benefit from Progressive scan as well) - but the Pioneer has "digital high density image scaling" which apparently gives an 8 fold increase in signal density, and can accept progressive scan pictures - but do they work together? (will it effectively result in a 16 fold increase ?).

Sods law it won`t, but....

Also, Hitachi Progressive scan sets - is this an entirely different technology to progressive scan , or are they really Prog scan (giving pal and NTSC benefits)

God bless all who answer !!

2. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i've been looking into this for a couple of days.
    i have to say its the plasma for the pic'
    but the question really is :is it worth twice the money?

3. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LCD system in the Grand Wega will need a progressive scan video signal, so will therefore have a built in de-interlacer or line doubler. The SONY HT10 projector that the Grand Wega is based on can accept progressive scan inputs so maybe these inputs will be available on the Wega as well but I can't say for certain yet.

The DRC system estimates via interpolation with reference to a high definition image block database, a 4x resolution video image. This system works quite well most of the time and has benefits with certain types of input. The 4x output will still have to be down converted to the native resolution of the Wega's LCD panels which are 1366x768.

There is no 3:2 pulldown detection in this system yet.

Pioneer's image scaling system uses a sophisticated filtering algorithm and sharpening and noise reduction filter. Its output will also have to be down converted to the native resolution of the Plasma panel which is 1280x768. The Pioneer's de-interlacer (line doubler) is more sophisticated than the one in the Sony Wega and uses 3:2 pulldown detection to my knowledge. The de-interlacer creates progressive images it will not double the spatial pixel density and yes it can be used with the scaler as is the case with the Sony.

I would always suggest testing both technologies for yourself. They both have pros and cons. The Plasma will most likely have a much higher price than the Sony Grand Wega.

Yes the Hitachi sets are true progressive scan for both PAL and NTSC. They do not have 3:2 pulldown detection or progressive scan inputs of any kind.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Ludae (edited 08-11-2000).]