1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan vs component out

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by huxleyr, Dec 5, 2002.

1. huxleyr

huxleyr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've got to the bottom of the old Loewe Planus accepting component YUV through scart AV3...it does :) However...i am now faced with a new minor molehill to climb!

After checking around for decent dvd players, i had almost accepted the fact that the Tosh220e or the 520e would be a good choice for the cash...especially seeing as they have component out and are around <£200.

However, i recently saw the new Denon DVD900. This looks a fine player and can be had for £200 at some retailers. This player outputs progressive scan to RGB. Now...what i want to know is...would i be better off going for the prog.scan dvd or the component out dvd? Or...am i totally wrong in my thinking and in fact the progressive scan output also carries component out?

Be good to hear from some wise-ones on this matter..its doing my head in.

Cheers

Richard Huxley

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This Tv won't accept PS through a Scart even via component. Just use component and hope for the best! Buy a 220 unless you want DVD A

3. huxleyr

huxleyr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well....how do you get prog. scan to your tv?

Richard

4. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    However, i recently saw the new Denon DVD900. This looks a fine player and can be had for £200 at some retailers. This player outputs progressive scan to RGB. Now...what i want to know is...would i be better off going for the prog.scan dvd or the component out dvd? Or...am i totally wrong in my thinking and in fact the progressive scan output also carries component out?

You just need to separate video signal format from scanning format.
    'Component' is a signal format and refers normally to YPbPr (YUV). It can also refer to RGB but in the UK we take it to mean YPbPr.

YPbPr and RGB can exist in either of 2 scan formats - progressive and interlaced. All players with YPbPr output will make it available in interlaced format and some will in addition make it available as progressive.

RGB is a different story - whilst progressive RGB exists it is not officially available so I'd be surprised if the Denon player does this - Arcam prog scan boards can be set to output prog RGB on their phonos but as I say this is not an official feature.

Progressive scan TVs - currently only a few Toshibas (?) accept the signal into their YPbPr inputs. This is not the same as a progressive 'mode' for interlaced signals which a few more TVs have - the TV must be able to scan at the higher (2x) progressive rate.

Really, its a feature for projectors and plasma panels - have to say I personally have my doubts about the processing in prog scan CRT TVs........

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Mark,

Today I calibrated my first Q2500 chassis loewe. I have already mentioned that the Q2400 crushes white detail on component and RGB inputs. Loewe UK have ignored my email and enquiries about this. Todays Q2500 also did it with s-video (and RGB)!

It might be an issue with the partnering DVD player but for now if I wAs buying a TV I'd be testing it with my prefered DVD player to see just what is happening......

Gordon

6. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Couldn't agree more Gordon.

Personally I think televisions are one of the most joyless pieces of equipment to buy - individual sample differences on geometry, even colour decoders and manufacturer differences on signal processing....

They don't believe in making it easy do they!

7. huxleyr

huxleyr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All this talk of calibration and geometry just flies right over my head! I got a dealer manual about entering service mode to alter many bizarre looking bits and bobs...however i won't go there!

Well...looks like i'll just buy the Tosh and have done! Thanks guys for your posts and help!

Rich