1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive scan via scart rgb?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pezzer, Jul 20, 2004.

1. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a panasonic PW6 plasma and am looking at a dvd player with PAL/NTSC progressive scan.

Will this function work via the rgb scart ( my method of connecting plasma)?

2. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Nope, via component or VGA socket only. What boards do you have fitted. I have a PW5 with Cable, Xbox and Cube going via a JS Tech RGB2VGA converter and DVD straight via component. Image via both is excellent.

You could get a DVD with component out and a component to VGA lead and put progressive that way into the panel.

3. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank bossc

I have a scart to vga syncblaster cable which I use with my sky + box , so am hoping to use the same lead with scart RGB form DVD player - I only use the DVD player now and again so it is no problem switching the lead between the sky box and DVD player.

So I do connect to the VGA on the plasma.

Would this work ?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    You cannot get progressive scan out of a SCART socket on a DVD player, so your scart lead out of the Sky box can't be used for the DVD.

If you want to use the VGA/PC/HD15 input of the plasma to accept prog scan from a DVD player then you need a 3 phono to HD15 lead and you need to set that input on the plasma to component in not RGB as it will be set just now probably.

Gordon

5. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice Gordon - I guess that the rgb scart from the dvd player will be ok if I don't use progreesive scan?

So I need a component video to vga lead ( HD15) .

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    You could connect the scarts from both the Sky and the DVD to an auto scart switch box (get a good one from eg Keene or Lektropacks), then plug your current RGB to VGA Synchblaster cable into the output of the scart switch box. Then of course plug the other end into VGA on the plasma. No getting up from the sofa to switch from SKY to DVD!

7. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that AV Junky - switching between sky / dvd player not a problem - I use dvd player less and easy for me to switch the cable when I need to ( easy access).

What I would really like to do is get progressive scan from the dvd but it seems I have to get a new cable to take the component video from the dvd via 3 rca's to the plasma - and may need to get video board as VGA port takes sky +.

If rgb scart from dvd player in this type of set up will be close to prog scan then I may decide to just use the rgb scart and save lots of ££££££'s!