1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan upgrade for Arcam DV88

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scott, Aug 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. scott

scott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, has anybody out there got a progressive scan board fitted to their DV88,and using it with the Pani 100?I want to know if this upgrade is worth the money as some of you seem to think that the Pani is no good unless you use a progressive scan DVD player.I am watching mine with component leads,will I get a better picture with the upgrade?(is this the best picture?If not what would be?)

2. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hi

i was in the same position as you when i got my panny.
    in my opinion the upgrade is a must.it makes the picture alot smoother.i saw the differance straight away(you will be without your dv88 for 3 weeks:(

i dont think you will be disapointed but it is alot of money.

well worth it

carl

3. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I had my 88 fitted with PS module cost £380
    Useing my sony 11ht PJ i carnt see £380 worth of difference to me it was a waste of money but there again the sony is a super Pj
    P@

4. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got the FMJ DV27 which already has the (same) board fitted and it makes a huge difference on PAL disks (the Sony has a built in de-interlacer for NTSC signals).

I can't say what difference it will make with the Panasonic but it's very noticable on a 92" screen with the Sony. I didn't need to point out the differences to my friends, they could see it very clearly!

5. smicker

smicker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to was inquiring today about progressive scan on my DV88 but was told that it would only make a difference to NTSC discs, and a better way round the problem was to buy an Iscan but at £700 I am not convinced I would see the big difference. I guess Iam in the dark my self, but this is a very interesting question.
    Cheers Smicker

6. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's the official line from Arcam and dealers as technically it's still illegal in this country. My local dealer didn't know it was possible till I showed him!

It's possible to "hack" the machine via the handset to give you both progressive PAL and NTSC output - takes about 20 seconds.