1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan TVs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by guyb, Aug 13, 2001.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can anyone tell me which UK TVs are progressive scan capable

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,527
    If you mean those capable of taking a progressive scan input from a DVD player or HCPC, then none.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    I have a Loewe Aconda fitted with a VGA input card. It has a Runco PFP11 scaler plugged in to it running at 854 x 480P.

Jeff Yerkess has Kryton plugged in to one using a similar resolution. Kryton is his HTPC.

The VGA input accepts 480P signals as RGB. It will accept 800 x 600 too but it will interlace these for playback (so not much point).

You can't plug a progressive scan DVD player that does component only in to these though. Also they will not accept a progressive PAL input. I'd guess they will from an HTPC though.

Try posting for Jeff about how he plpays back PAL stuff through his Aconda.

Gordon

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,527
    Well I stand corrected (said the man in orthopaedic shoes).

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Dominic,

The Iscan pro should work fine in to the Aconda VGA input I'd guess. Only playing NTSC though. The Skyworth has a VGA out on the back of it so it'd work straight in too, except once again not with PAL......

I'm also not convinced that Plasma's will accept progressive PAL on their component inputs or RGB. Certainly the Panasonic I've been playing with is not a happy bunny when faced with a 576P signal.

My quest for a suitable scaler for these tings goes on. I suspect that when our Vigatec comes back I will have the answer....

Gordon

7. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi guys. You will have to excuse my ignorance as I'm an infant when it comes to Progressive scan. I know that I want it, my next Dvd will definately be Progressive scan & I was 99% certain that I was gonna upgrade my Panny pf10 to the new PB50. What are the key differences between PS on a DVD or a TV, I thought I needed both. I can't afford a plasma or projector right now but who knows what the future will bring (as I plan to win the lottery on Wednesday). I now don't know whether to keep my pf10 and wait, or will the PS on the PB50 be anywhere near as good as a progressive DVD. If for a true PS image you need both, could you get some sort of component to RGB converter as the PB50 has no component inputs. unfortunately although I hear great things about them I don't think after having a 36" I could get a Loewe 32 as its too small. I know I'm out of my league on this part of the forum, so be gentle with me gents but I could really appreciate some advice.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Don't assume you next DVD should be PS. I think that could leave you down the wrong path.

Your TV and DVD don't need to be PS. Your display device does need to be PS capable but it might either take an external signal (PS DVD) or it does things internally.

De-interlacing (which is what PS is) can be done a number of ways. Done poorly it looks appaling. (most TVs). DVDO Iscan is a very good de-interlacing chipset worth looking out for in DVD player (ARCAM etc). Faroudja and Genesis are also names worth looking out for. Under this there are many solution that basically very poor and are used in built in devices. It may be better to do the PS externally for better results (inc video etc). Hence the DVDO IScan Pro mentioned above. A seperate de-interlacing box for £700 - 750. Very good quality.

There are no decent PS conventional tv on the UK market now as we don't have HDTV broadcasts. (Aconda is the best bet / exception). PAL and internal PS doesn't currently exist on official UK players but external solutions are possible now. IScan Pro.

If you really want PS go plasma or ideally projector. In fact if you want PS now it is essential. The PS DVD players currently on the market are next to useless unless you have a plasma or projector. You just can't use them as they were intended IN THIS COUNTRY.

PS is not the be all and end all of display devices. I would say it is essential on plasma and projector but not conventional tvs. When done correctly in the future this may / will change. I eventually chose a normal interlaced tv in prefererence. Eventually I had it down to Aconda and a 36 inch picture fram Toshiba. I went the Toshiba but both were excellent.

Don't get too hung up on PS for tvs now. It just doesn't exist in a quality example with UK spec PS DVDs players. Give it a few years.

[ 13-08-2001: Message edited by: Nic Rhodes ]</p>

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Of course if 32" is too small there's always the imminent arrival of the Loewe 40" 16:9 TV to look forward to!

Gordon

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

11. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for the advics Nic. I'm starting to understand ps a lot clearer now. I think I may hold off on the screen upgrade for a while. The main reason I was concerned about ps is that on my pf10 I can see the line structure quite visibly from my Pioneer 717. I'm sitting about 3 metres from the screen facing it straight on. I read on another post that cutting pin 19 on the Tv end of the scart could solve this, but as I use a QED £70 S-video to scart I am reluctant to try. Might buy a cheap s to scart to try it, it might not even work with S-video. I use S-Video because of the switching on my A1se and use the RGB for my Sky. Gordon, I did think this Tv would be incredible, but another post mentioned that it would be 4:3 so am a bit put off. I still want ps though. Am I correct in thinking that we are just waiting for PAL progressive to be officialy sanctioned before we can use the De-interlacing (see, I'm getting it) in the Dvd itself. <br />Thanks for the answers, you've both been a great help.<br />Tim

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Tim

You shouldn't be seeing line structure. Are we sure it is not another hum type problem?

13. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I don't know. Its like horizontal bands across the picture, most noticable towards the centre of the screen. Its not a huge deal, but once you notice it, it can rear its ugly head quite often. I've also noticed it for my RGB sky digital pictures.