1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Neil69, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, as I'm getting my Yamaha AX-1 amp fixed, again, & as my parents are away on their hols, I decided to connect my Pioneer 737 DVD player to my mum's Panasonic 36pg50 WS telly. My DVD player has prog scan with component output, the TV says it has prog scan in the on screen menu. It only has SCARTs & no component inputs. How do I get the prog scan to work?
    Ta, Neil.

:confused: :confused: :zonked: :zonked:

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

There are two ways that a tv can show a progressive picture.

The first is by building a deinterlacer into the display. Using this method, any interlaced signal coming into the tv, via its' scart, s-video or composite input, will be processed by the tv's internal deinterlacer and the picture shown on the screen will be progressive scan. This is how the Panasonic 36 PG50 displays progressive images.

The second technique involves the deinterlacing being done inside the dvd player (which your Pioneer does) or by an external line doubler (such as the i-scan ). This results in the signal entering the tv in progressive form, and completely bypassing the displays internal deinterlacer. Having this process done either by the dvd player or a stand alone line doubler will usually produce much better results than the displays' internal deinterlacer, but unfortunately the PG50 cannot process an external progressive signal.

The progressive option in the Panasonics' menu is to activate its' own internal line doubler.

Hope this helps,

Bob.

3. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So I just switch the TV to prog scan even though it is recieving RGB?
    Neil

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's right Neil, once you set the menu to progressive scan, the image you see on the screen will be deinterlaced, regardless of whether you feed the tv RGB, s-video or composite.

The downside is that most tv's that convert interlaced signals to progressive scan do a pretty crude job, so you won't see the quality of picture that would be available if you were able to output a progressive signal from your Pioneer 737 into a set of progressive capable component inputs.

Bob.

5. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any consensus as to what is the best Progressive Scan TV?
    Thanks,
    Julia

6. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking into progressive scan rear projections. Anyone recommend any make or model??

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Next gen Tosh CRT RP's might be Progressive capable (although need to find out just for NTSC, or PAL as well) A couple of current Panny CRT RP's are progressive (think just for NTSC) but seem a bit unreliable.

Looks like you need to wait a bit. You could go for a Plasma or LCD or CRT front projection, as these should be (depending on model) NTSC & PAL progressive.

Don't forget you'll need a audio delay function on the DVD player (Arcam) or a AV amp/Processor (Denon 3803, Lexicon, Tag) as video processing in a progressive board takes up xxx milliseconds.