1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan TV - Buying Advice Required, Please.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stroker Ace, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Stroker Ace

Stroker Ace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, hello. Long time lurker, finally looking for some specific advice.

I'm after a new TV in December or January - primarily for video games. Specifically, I'm after a Progressive Scan capable television, with at least a 28 inch screen, on a budget of £500. I'll be using prog scan for the consoles (all NTSC), and that's just about the only thing I'll be using the TV for, so if nothing else, it has to be faultless in that department. It would also be nice if the TV had decent sound quality as standard, as I haven't the money to fork out for speakers.

I've bought TV's in the past and it's always been a bit hit and miss, so I throw myself upon your mercy. What's the best I can do with my budget and requirements?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Well, here's some specific advice from TG:

TV's are always cheaper in January. :clap:

So, if you can wait...

Happy Christmas. :thumbsup:

3. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    And I wanted one for Christmas :( Oh well I suppose it isn't long till January. Is it cheaper in January just for the high street shops or does it apply to online as well?

Mr_Fantastic

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Isn't everything cheaper everywhere just after Christmas? :thumbsup:

Regards,

TG (aka Scrooge! :laugh: )

5. Stroker Ace

Stroker Ace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I was thinking it would be better to wait.

With that settled, I need to know what I should be buying so that I can get out and get it as soon as the sales kick in. What do people know to be good?

6. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  7. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would disagree about all prices being cheaper after Christmas. In previous years, I've delayed making specific purchases until the January 'sales'. However having identified the item I wished to purchase, they were inevitably the same price, as they were pre-Christmas. What tends to get heavily discounted are those projects approaching the end of their life or which are about to be superceeded by a later model. If you are not too choosey, and don't mind that the model you are buying may shortly be extinct, then you can get some good bargains.

8. m4A1

m4A1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes it does. I got mine from Allders.com for £399 with free delivery and free 5 year warrenty. Great tv and progreesive input via component connection is 1st rate - better than any flat panel or CRT I have seen.

10. m4A1

m4A1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought this was the same model as as mum's which does not. My mistake then, sorry

11. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    On a related note, what is the allders warranty like, and indeed how are allders like in general. I was going to get this set from Empire but if the warranty is really worth having, then the allders deal seems better value.

12. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The extra +4 years warrenty from Allders is underwritten by Extracare (I think) who provide cover for many Electrical retailers. The good thing with Allders is that you can always go back to them if you are not satisfied. You can also see/buy the 28pw37 in any Allders showroom.

Plus you get the JVC stand included in the price at Allders.

Well worth the extra £20 in my opinion.

Just one item of note. The sound quality is not that great. The built in speakers provide little base.

13. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The stand is included at empiredirect as well as it says deluxe tv rack, it's just the warranty and free delivery that's different. So you are paying £20 for a 5 year warranty which is pretty good. It says it's 100Hz at empiredirect, the model number looks slightly different from the one I saw but that was supposed to be 75Hz. Is this model the same as the HV28D40 except for the freeview tuner? I prefer the look of the HV28D40 as I like the darker colour of the face of the TV but the price is very much higher at about £550 and for just over £500 I could get the HV32P37S and the 32" screen is more appealing for me. Can anyone confirm that this set is the same basic TV as the 28D40?

14. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The d40 has a slightly enhanced D.I.S.T. processing engine, but this is like DIST v2.5, to the p37/38's DIST v2, it is a slight enhancement but not much different. But generally they are very similar, just the chassis and tuner differentiate them. If only the d40 was cheaper, or there was a non digital version of it, I would be much happier though, as the p37's frame is rather wide, in fact the 32" p37 is as wide as the 36" p38 as the p38 uses a different chassis, more akin to a Panasonic one.

15. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Having a very wide TV could be a problem, I like the look of the D40 TV's and they aren't so wide either, I too don't reall want an intergrated Freeview decoder as it adds to the cost and I could get a better Freeview decoder as a seperate unit and at least the TV wouldn't need to be on(standby might be okay but I would prefer it to be totally off when not in use) to record from Freeview. I might not bother with Freeview anyway as I might just get a Sky box and use the free channels on that instead.

16. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Theres always the hv-??p40, which is the d40 without freeview. Look here: http://www.jvc.dk/download.php?type=2

However thats not avaliable in the UK yet, but I suspect the reason the p37's going so cheap is that they are to be launched soon. So do you want to get a p37, or wait and get the p40 which will likely be more expensive.

17. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    http://www.jvc.dk/product.php?id=HV-28P40BU&catid=100003

The p40 seems to be the european version of the d40, as they have no need for the freeview module. This makes the question of whether they would release the p40 here a bit more foggy, as they may just release a successor, but the price drop still leads me to believe that the p37's are being replaced.

18. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Mmmmm interesting, that page shows more info than on the UK page, it says 50/60Hz component input and PAL/NTSC progressive which the UK site doesn't. I do prefer the look of that TV though.

19. radium

radium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yup i'm thinking of getting one of these myself can anybody tell me what the difference between these models are HV-28P37SJE the HV-28P37SUE and this one HV-28P37 ?

20. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I dont believe there are differences between those model numbers. The 28 means 28", the p37 part is the most important - its the model of the set, the s means silver, and I just assume the other part means the stand?

21. daddyorchips

daddyorchips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm quite tempted to go for one of these models myself, that is the JVC 28p37...

I mainly want to use it for games playing: both consoles and PC. I'm pretty sure I can get my PC to output HDTV 1080i through component. However, is there an issue with connecting consoles to this tv? Is there a problem using just the RGB scart connector? I read another thread about issues when using RGB and 60hz combined (PAL60 or NTSC), but I couldn't work out whether it was just a one off or a problem with all these jvc tvs.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

22. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It seems to be hit and miss, but quite common. I've been wanting this TV for a month or so now (still can't afford it with Xmas around the corner - I'm looking to buy in January)

I've read every single comment on the web (or so it seems) and many people have absolutely no problems, yet others do and they all sound similar. Obviously those people with problems post a lot more often, but there is every chance you'll get a set that plays all RGB Scart signals just fine. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

23. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i own the hv28p37, which i bought from alders. unluckily for anyone buying now, i was able to get a further 10% off their price of 399, so i got it for around 360. that offer is now up mind.

i've only connect my xbox up via component, set to NTSC 480p and 1080i compatable 16x9. i didn't take home my RGB lead to test it when i went there on sunday, and won't be able to do this until xmas day i'm afraid. i'll make sure i do test tho (if i forget, PM me and i will!) i'll try both PAL60 and NTSC as i have lots of american games. PQ was great.. using the digipure set to off, the screen was quite "soft", min gave more enhancement and max made outrun 2 look like an arcade monitor! very sharp!

and yes, can DEFINITELY take a progressive input.. whether it displays it purely progressive has been questioned by one other person ( on this forum i believe ) but i have no doubts to it looking good. the one thing i'm intrigued is, its 1080i input. others (including myself, a wee bit anyway) have doubts that the set is able to show a full 1080 active lines, and the fact that the "S" in DIST stands for scaling makes me wonder whether it scales the image down. i wasn't able to test with a 1080i image, so i can't tell you how good it looks. anyone else had the opportunity to do this? i'd love to know how it compares! also have you had to access the service menu for anything, i'm willing to mess around a little, but only after i'm very used to the set as i hate buggering things up :)

it does definitely show up DTT tv for sure, wasn't able to test with anything else. could definitely see faults in the picture during Songs of Praise on sunday (not my choice!) but i don't blame the JVC for this, i blame the crap state of british digital television. for me, its primarily a game and dvd tv atm, and will be used for european/atlantic satellites over the next year.

dead happy with it so far, just get an xbox, a HD cable set and a copy of Soul Calibur 2 and watch the intro... youll be impressed! if you have the space for a CRT and dont like LCD (yuck!) and can't afford plasma... for the price you can pick one of these up, it'd be daft not to get one :)

edit: oh and the set is also 75hz, ignore empires description. i had a problem that nearly cost us £2000 that was indirectly related to empire a few years back, so i tend to use them for price reference only these days, as my dad would probably refuse to order from them. and the original poster wants prog scan more than anything via his consoles, and as you can only send prog scan down the component cables not the rgb scart, the "possible problems" some people have had shouldn't worry him.

(pq compared to a philips 24" ws about 3 months old that was naerly the same price, and a several year old DPL Panasonic 28" curvedscreen that was 2x the price. outshines em both with a high quality signal, gotta love a cheap CRT that can process prog scan!)

24. daddyorchips

daddyorchips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yay, it sounds great!!!

I ended up going for the 32" version of the tv, as I managed to find it for around £480 inc. delivery. Xbox HD cable as well as PS2 HD cable on order - now I can't wait :D

I've been looking at dvd players all afternoon as the majority of dvds that I own are PAL region 2, and I want to be able to run them in prog scan as well as NTSC films. Can anybody recommend a decent player for this screen? At the moment I'm leaning towards the Phillips DVP-720SA. Looks good, but am really not bothered about SACD/DVD-A/DivX support. I just want the best looking prog scan playback! :)

25. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Where was the 32" for £480?

26. daddyorchips

daddyorchips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    >onewingedangel

Bought one off of ebay, with one year's warranty. For my own piece of mind, I checked with ten previous customers of the seller who were all extremely happy with the quality of their sets. Not one grumble!

Did a bit more dvd player research, and now the JVC xv-na77sl dvd player looks like a safe bet. Anybody got any opinions on this player combined with this tv?

27. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    not used the player i'm afraid, but i'll be using the xbox for pal progscan (whilst still in ntsc mode heh). personally, i'm not too worried about the lack of pal progscan on my dvd player... there's several websites showing that it really isn't that important or effective on pal as it is ntsc (hence the amount of non-pal prog scan machines i guess) and as tons of my discs are ntsc anyway, it's not a massive deal to me personally.

28. daddyorchips

daddyorchips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I think the reason for the lack of dvd players with PAL progressive scan support is that as a standard was not set for it until recently, meaning including such support would have been illegal. I expect someone will come along now and correct me with the actual answer! ;)

JayX, what's the NTSC progressive scan output of films on the xbox like? Is it worth me picking up a seperate DVD player?

29. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just ordered the 28" JVC from Allders as the 10% off offer is still going - don't know when it'll arrive as I believe the last date for pre-christmas delivery was the 14th, but it's done now, no going back!

30. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Is it £399 with the 10% off? As thats what the price is on the website, or is the 10% off in store only?