1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan results in squished picture

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Xaximus, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Xaximus

Xaximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Disclaimer: I'm a noob.

I have an RCA D52W20 television (widescreen), and just picked up an inexpensive RCA RTD250 home theatre package (receiver/DVD combo unit and 5.1 speakers). The problem: when I enable progressive scan for watching my Band of Brothers DVDs (widescreen), the picture is squished so that there are black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Keep in mind that my television is widescreen, and supports progressive scan. There is no such problem when progressive scan is disabled, and the picture is normally displayed in widescreen without any black bars. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight? Thanks very much.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    I think that you should post this at www.avsforum.com
    This is a european forum and we don't have much experience of RCA products over here.

Check that your DVD players set up menu is at 16:9 for display type and then when you play back the DVD check the TV's aspect ratio is set correctly to show the image in the correct geometric setting. This may be called "anamorphic" or "16:9" on TV

Gordon

3. Xaximus

Xaximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD player is indeed set for 16:9. Usually while watching something, I can change the TV's aspect ratio. However, I noticed that while the DVD player is in progressive scan mode, my TV's aspect ratio is frozen (and doesn't display what the current aspect ratio is, which I've never seen it do before). Weird stuff. In any case, I'll post over in the avsforum.com... thanks for the tip!