1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by konghh, Oct 19, 2001.

1. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the television itself got the Progressive Scan feature, do we still need a DVD with Progressive Scan feature? In another word, if we have a DVD player that’s DOES NOT have progressive scan but the television does, do we get non-interlaced pictures?
    Thanks

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No, the TV and the DVD player must support PS.

Note that there are some TVs which process the interlaced picture (like Sony's DRC) to increase the resolution but it's not progressive scan, may however be an alternative (or rather a compromise).

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I think there's a bit of confusion here.

The ideal situation is as follows:
    DVD player de-interlaces picture and outputs progressive scan component signal.
    TV (or projector) with progressive scan inputs takes the DVD player's PS signal and displays it.

Note that the only TV's with progressive scan inputs in the UK (that I know of) are Plasma screens or the Loewe Aconda with an add-on module.

Some TVs (Hitachi) provide Progressive Scan processing. They cannot accept a PS signal via their inputs. The set processes an interlaced signal either from its own tuner or from the video inputs. I don't know what the quality of de-interlacing is like compared to a DVD player.

Cheers,
    Liam

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,402
  5. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony DRC (KV-EX29M65) and it states :

DRC-MF (DRC 1250 = 4 x Picture Density; & DRC Progressive = Line Flicker Free Picture)

Hence my original question as to whether I still need the DVD with Progressive Scan. So?

Thanks

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right, and Liam is right...

If you have a TV that does progressive scan, Proscan in the Loewes, you don´t need a DVD player that does it, just have to have Component video output, and you get de-interlaced image, much better than interlaced... Also a much cheaper solution, and also works with PAL signal, the DVDs don´t, yet...

If you want a progressive scan player, it wont use the TVs Proscan, and you need the adapter in Loewes, I think the VGA adapter, more money and doesn´t work with PAL DVDs...

I have the Arcam DV88 and the Loewe Vitros with the best image I have ever seen on a TV.

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    The TV you have does not have Progressive Scan inputs. Therefore there is no point in you getting a DVD player with Progressive Scan output. I believe that answers your specific question.

The important point is that there is a difference between a TV having progressive scan processing (like your Sony, the Loewe Vitros that Antonio mentions and some of the Hitachi) and having progressive scan inputs (like most plasmas and the Loewe Aconda with VGA module). There is no point getting a DVD player with Progressive scan output unless you display device has progressive scan inputs.

Cheers,
    Liam