1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan Question

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Spok, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 36ZP38 TV and a Toshiba SD330e DVD player, connected via component leads. The TV has a Progressive Scan mode but the DVD player does not, yet, when I watch a DVD in Progressive Scan mode there is an improvement in picture quality.

Does anyone else have this combination, and do they use it in Progressive Mode?. I assumed that, because the SD330e DVD player does not have Progressive Scan, there would be something wrong with the picture.

If I were to upgrade the DVD player to a Toshiba SD340e, which does have Progressive Scan output (PAL and NTSC), would the picture on the TV be even better? Is the TVs Progressive Scan Pal or NTSC?

Thanks for your help.

Spok. :confused:

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Progressive scan was a NTSC only feature until recently when PAL progressive became available.

The reason why the picture looks better defined is because you get all 600 odd lines painted in one frame. On normal 50Hz it is 625 lines interlaced. This means even and odd scan lines are rendered alternately to give the illusion of 625 lines. On 100Hz equipped sets such as the Tosh a technique known as motion estmation is used to give the effect that you are getting 100 frames per second - however the trickery can easily be exposed on rapid moving images or text scrolling across the screen. For some reason a lot of 100Hz solutions can't cope with text scrolling and you see strange visual artefacts and broken text when it is beaten. The frame resolution is still 625 lines interlaced by the way, just as 50Hz is.

On progressive scan it works differently. both frames are stored in memory, then drawn as one single frame, so you get 625 lines at 50Hz but not interlaced. This is why the picture looks so much clearer. This is done by the TV, not the DVD player so that's why you didn't see any problems.

You can use the progressive scan setting on your normal TV broadcast. Give it a go, see what you think.

Changing to the SD340 may not yield a large step in picture performance, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some improvement.

I do not know if the ZP38 is both PAL and NTSC progressive.

3. alcolepone2

alcolepone2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone

does anyone know if the 32zp48 and se340 work together to provide "PAL" progressive scan images?

cheers

4. Rushy

Rushy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Should do, as they both support PAL Progressive scan.

I've just ordered both as a bundle, so I'll let you know if it works.

5. alcolepone2

alcolepone2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you could that would be great

cheers

6. The-tonemeister

The-tonemeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm also another 36ZP48 convert, but with a bit of a problem.

When I hook it up to my Pioneer 565 by progressive scan and watch something in 4:3 format (R1 Fraser discs as opposed to films) it doesn't display a 4:3 picture. 4:3 is also disabled in the picture choices (Cinema, 14:9, wide etc) so the picture cannot be forced to frame correctly.

Is this a 'feature' of progressive scan, or am I being incredibly dense. :rolleyes:

Anyone any idea?

TM

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like it's being forced into a screen mode by the DVD player, but I thought that all modes were available regardless of this. Silly question but what mode does it default to?

8. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    :hiya:

I have this combination and yeas they do combine to display Progressive Scan Images. When selected on the DVD player (Using the progressive button and also selecting YUV from the video menu) the menu on the TV will default to Progressive so you cannot change it to Natural etc.

I have been staggered by the picture quality using both of these together. Bought mine from Electricals centre and got the 340 thrown in. Notice the Tv and free DVD are £60 cheaper than when I bought them in August!! (Bargain)

9. The-tonemeister

The-tonemeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Even with the DVD player set to 4:3 (Letterbox), 4:3 (Pan & Scan) or 16:9 the result is the same.

Tried it on a mates Pioneer 575 with the same results. :confused:

Can anyone get a 4:3 picture through progressive scan?

I'd be interested if anyone can what player they're using.

TM

10. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    The same thing happens on my zd26 for 4:3 stuff, in the hand book it actually does state this, I assume that 4:3 stuff was never ment to watched progressive scan mode

11. The-tonemeister

The-tonemeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's what I thought / expected.

Looks like 4:3 will have to go through Scart then. :rolleyes:

Glad it's not my player / TV playing up.;)

TM

12. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi i have the 330e and a 32zp48 and i have just recently been querying a similar thing, i wouldnt say my dvd playback improved but sky digital did using progressive?:confused: soon to order a denon dvd1920!!:clap: the progressive argument goes out the window...............:D