1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dr_Mike, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just been reading the excellent article about progressive scan processing at HometheaterHifi.com and was left wondering the following:

Are there any prog scan DVD players which let the user choose the de-interlacing mode rather than leaving it to the chip to decide ? It seems that most of the problems mentioned are caused by the processor failing to correctly identify film source material and using inappropriate video modes (or vice versa). As flag coding can't be relied upon, and cadence reading is also far from perfrect (particularly for 2-2 material) surely it would be better for the user to be able to choose the mode they feel works best on whatever they are watching ?

The stuff on the Denon website sort of suggests that the A11 can work this way. Can anyone confirm, and are there others ? The A11 might be abit over my budget. (I'm looking into a new DVD/projector combination, although I probabaly won't be buying
    for a few more months yet :( )

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony players let you force Film (weave) and Video (Bob) modes, or just leave it in Auto. I'm sure that some players let you switch between flag reading and cadence based for pulldown detection as well - but not the Sonys, which are always cadence based. Personally, I've not have a problem with mine left in Auto...

HTH,

_

Edit: Just read your post again and there is something to be aware of. Forcing Film mode is fine, but you still need to be able to reverse the pulldown correctly if you want to avoid combing. (The Mei-Ah release of Hard Boiled, for instance, is incorrectly flagged so that Film mode on flag reading players causes major combing.) Also, 2-2 pulldown may be harder for cadence based players but it is typically only bad edits that throw them, and then not for that long. The article you read is very good but you do need a sense of perspective - by their own admission they are looking at the extremes of behaviour, most discs will play equally well on most P/S players (as regards deinterlacing) so output stage quality, etc. is likely to have a greater effect on your viewing enjoyment. I tried two other players before I reached happiness with my current player; one had ghosting on the image when driving long (10m) cable runs and the other suffered lip-sync issues with progressive output. The differences in deinterlacing (and one had Faroudja DCDi for Video mode) were small compared to the othr flaws.

3. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the feeback Underscore, so the Hometheaterhifi article does overstate the problems then ? How often are 'bad edits' encountered in movies ? All my DVDs are major(ish) titles on R2 PAL, and I don't really care about PQ on extras etc.

If you go for an all-digital set up (HDMI/DVI) then does the quality of de-interlacing (and MPEG decoding) come much more to the fore though, as D/A conversion and analogue circuit design become irrelevant ?

Slighhtly off topic, but just discovered that my simple Tosh 220 trips up on the "seamless" branching on the Alien SE DVD (picture jumps and loud cracks in the soundtrack) didn't really spoil enjoyment of the movie so maybe I'm being over concerned about these things.