1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan question(s)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The_Lid, Dec 21, 2004.

1. The_Lid

The_Lid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all. This is my 1st post here & I hope someone can help with this. Also appologies if some of my terminoligy is wrong; I'm new to this.

I have a Harmon Kardon DVD25 DVD player which, I thought supported progressive scan out put. I'm using composite/component video (3 coax type cables) cables between the DVD and a Hitachi 4200 plasma screen. I have enabled progressive scan on both the DVD and the screen.

Anyway, I was reading some reviews on the DVD here

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/DVDPlayers/HarmanKardon/HarmanKardonDVD25.php

and here

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/wvreviews/DVDPlayers/HarmanKardon/HarmanKardonDVD25.php

and it would appear that progressive scan is only supported on region 1 disks.

So is this true? Is this a restriction on my DVD player or the DVD disks themselves?

Any other useful info would be great. Many thanks!

2. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DVD25 and I am using Prog scan on PAL discs to a plasma.

You shouldnt have a problem

3. The_Lid

The_Lid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stebbo.

It all "seems" to work OK and generally I'm very happy with the DVD player. It does get a little "confused" with subtitles though. Have you noted this?

About the articles; do you think they're wrong or missleading?

4. GavT

GavT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi there,

My Harmon Kardon plays very nicely but it's strange you should mention this... on the weekend something caught my eye - watching a film a diagonal line looked staggered on the screen, something I though Prog Scan was supposed to eradicate. Unfortunately I'm not sure whether this was a Region1 DVD or not but since it was from a UK video hire shop I guess it was Region 2. At the time I put it down to the actual filming method rather than my HK, but now you've got me thinking. Anyone else seen this?
    No problems with subtitles - my girlfriend likes French and Spanish films and we've had no trouble with the subtitles so far. I wonder if the problem is more to do with the DVD production. Have you tried the same DVD on another player?