Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Progressive scan question(s)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The_Lid, Dec 21, 2004.

1. The_Lid

The_Lid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all. This is my 1st post here & I hope someone can help with this. Also appologies if some of my terminoligy is wrong; I'm new to this.

I have a Harmon Kardon DVD25 DVD player which, I thought supported progressive scan out put. I'm using composite/component video (3 coax type cables) cables between the DVD and a Hitachi 4200 plasma screen. I have enabled progressive scan on both the DVD and the screen.

Anyway, I was reading some reviews on the DVD here

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/DVDPlayers/HarmanKardon/HarmanKardonDVD25.php

and here

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/wvreviews/DVDPlayers/HarmanKardon/HarmanKardonDVD25.php

and it would appear that progressive scan is only supported on region 1 disks.

So is this true? Is this a restriction on my DVD player or the DVD disks themselves?

Any other useful info would be great. Many thanks!

2. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DVD25 and I am using Prog scan on PAL discs to a plasma.

You shouldnt have a problem

3. The_Lid

The_Lid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stebbo.

It all "seems" to work OK and generally I'm very happy with the DVD player. It does get a little "confused" with subtitles though. Have you noted this?

About the articles; do you think they're wrong or missleading?

4. GavT

GavT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi there,

My Harmon Kardon plays very nicely but it's strange you should mention this... on the weekend something caught my eye - watching a film a diagonal line looked staggered on the screen, something I though Prog Scan was supposed to eradicate. Unfortunately I'm not sure whether this was a Region1 DVD or not but since it was from a UK video hire shop I guess it was Region 2. At the time I put it down to the actual filming method rather than my HK, but now you've got me thinking. Anyone else seen this?
    No problems with subtitles - my girlfriend likes French and Spanish films and we've had no trouble with the subtitles so far. I wonder if the problem is more to do with the DVD production. Have you tried the same DVD on another player?