Progressive Scan question from a newbie

snakeeater

Standard Member
Reaction score
I will soon have everything hooked up to my panny 6 via the JS Tech RGB to VGA box.

Basically does this mean that I will then have a progressive scan picture from my Sony DVD player?

Im not sure if my Sony DVD player outputs progressive scan but I read somewhere that the picture can be de-interlaced by the plasma rather than the DVD player??

Or have I got it all wrong?? :lease:

If its the case that I need a DVD player that specifically outputs a progressive scan signal, could anyone suggest links to any recommended DVD players that are reasonably priced?

Sorry if my questions sound stupid, but Im taking this home cinema thing one step at a time and there seems to be quite a lot to learn :(

RGB-2-VGA converter does not de-interlace the picture, it remains interlaced RGB. The convertor separates out the synch signals, giving the plasma a better quality signal to chew on. The internal de-interlacer in the plasma then converts the picture into prog-scan.

There are loads of DVD players with prog-scan these days. If you are looking to improve over the internal de-interlacer on the plasma, then stay away from budget models. Try posting over on the DVD forum, stating that you are looking for a PS DVD and what your budget range is.

RGB-2-VGA converter also removes Macrovision, that also helps PQ
SCART sync is usually 0.3v combined H/V after the converter it's
about 1v-2v with independant H and V sync signals

pjclark1 said:
RGB-2-VGA converter also removes Macrovision, that also helps PQ
SCART sync is usually 0.3v combined H/V after the converter it's
about 1v-2v with independant H and V sync signals

Can someone translate for the hard-of-understanding? :blush:

Zed

Okay next question LOL

If i bought a new DVD player that was progressive scan capable, would I get a progressive scan picture using the RGB to plasma VGA box from JS Tech?

Or would the only way to get progressive scan to be to use component cables?

I don't know of any DVD players that can output progressive scan via RGB SCART.. Actually, im not even sure its possible. With that in mind, you will only be able to do it with component outputs from the DVD player...

Steve

zedzed said:
Can someone translate for the hard-of-understanding? :blush:

Zed
Macrovision is the system used on pre-recorded material (eg DVDs) to prevent copying. Display devices should be unaffected, but any attempt to record the picture results in a degraded and unstable picture. Not sure why removing MV would improve the PQ on a display device - I'll leave that to the experts.

The horizontal (H) and vertical (V) synch signals tell the display how to map the picture onto the screen (in the very simplest sense). In an RGB scart signal, the H & V are combined and sent down one of the video signal wires. In VGA, the H & V are separated out and sent down there own dedicated wires. The voltage is also boosted, in the case of the RGB-2-VGA.

HTH

AV Junky said:
Macrovision is the system used on pre-recorded material (eg DVDs) to prevent copying. Display devices should be unaffected, but any attempt to record the picture results in a degraded and unstable picture. Not sure why removing MV would improve the PQ on a display device - I'll leave that to the experts.

The horizontal (H) and vertical (V) synch signals tell the display how to map the picture onto the screen (in the very simplest sense). In an RGB scart signal, the H & V are combined and sent down one of the video signal wires. In VGA, the H & V are separated out and sent down there own dedicated wires. The voltage is also boosted, in the case of the RGB-2-VGA.

HTH

Thank you :thumbsup:

Don't know where Dr. JS is, but I'm almost certain his VGA box does not remove macrovision, that would be illegal. There are 1 or 2 DVD's that can do prog scan RGB, even a budget one, it cropped up the other day. Wish I could remember. One or 2 upmarket ones have a VGA port, and of course there are a few DVI equipped naughty players too. So RGB prog scan exists in various forms. As mentioned above, there's little point in progressive scan on a real budget player, the plasma has a pretty reasonable on board deinterlacer. It's interesting to try with and without prog scan on budget players clients have, just to show them it's not the be all and end all. Frequently they prefer the interlaced output.

I have a Sony DAV-s880 which connects via component cables into my Panny PWD6.

The S880 is capable of playing progressive scan but I have it set to interlaced as I thought that was best (as mentioned above the Panny has a pretty good deinterlacer).

Is this the best setting or should I set the S880 to progressive and 'somehow' disable the Panny's deinterlacer ? :confused:

You don't have to do anything if you are using progressive input, it's automatic. You could try the progressive scan from the 880, see if you prefer it. It's the only way to find out which is best.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom