1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Stephen Wilde, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I have a Denon 2900 with Pal Progressive Scan. The PQ is excellent but I get faint horizontal bands moving up the screen.
    The problem is not present on interlaced display.
    The bands vary in degree depending on picture content.
    They are most noticeable in static scenes with larger areas of even colour.
    Any ideas as to cause?
    Display is Fujitsu 5004 using component video.

Stephen.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Sounds like hum bars. If so you have an earth loop somewhere. nototious;y hard to pin down where though, sorry

Gordon

3. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi Gordon, thanks for your suggestion but what is an earth loop and where could I look to find it?

Stephen.

4. chris9682

chris9682
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi stephen i have a similar problem using a quadscan elite thru a crt, is the problem on both pal and ntsc or have you solved it

5. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi Chris,

I'm just ignoring it at present. Most of time it isn't a problem but it seems to come and go.
    Not usually present to begin with but becomes more noticeable with time. Sometimes it seems to go away temporarily but I think it is always present in the background.
    Haven't tried NTSC yet but will do so.

Stephen.

6. chris9682

chris9682
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    this really does sound like my problem as i have also tried to ignore it, it is only faintly noticeable occasionally but the problem is, you know its there and its annoying. Try turning electrical appliances on and off to see if its some kind of interference problem eg washing machine, boiler. Anybody else got any ideas?

7. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    No ideas. I do have the problem myself now though. I've never had it before. I recently moved my projector to a different room. On the other side of the wall is my two fuse boxes. All my homecinema power cables go through the wall and plug in right next to the fuse boxes and electric meter. I'll try flicking off each trip switch one at a time to see if I find the cause.

Thinking about it I've got a feeling it may be the electric meter which hums like mad and which the electric company refused to fix saying it's normal :(

8. PAUL RODGERS

PAUL RODGERS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem with a pioneer 656 dvd player on my L&G PLASMA Richer sounds changed the dvd and i even had engineers out to see if my plasma was faulty, at the end i had to change the dvd player because it didnot seem compatible.Ironically i now own a Denon 2900. Why not try a different dvd player and see if that was the problem.

9. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    I also have the Denon 2900 and had the same problem on the Tosh 36ZP38 Prog. Scan CRT. Eventually, I exchanged it for a Panny PD30 Prog. Scan CRT and found that solved the problem.

But reading the above posts/suggestions it sounds like a weird problem:confused: and a nightmare to solve easily:(

Best wishes

LAGAVULIN

10. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Have now checked NTSC and same problem develops after about 15 mins. Tried switching off all nearby equipment to no effect.
    Once it started I turned off the dvd player to show a blank blue screen and the moving lines were clearly visible. Switched to interlaced displey and they disappeared. Back to progressive scan and they returned.
    The delayed onset makes me wonder if it is the result of some cumulative timing error in the progressive scan display programming.
    Any comments from someone technically minded ?

Stephen.

11. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    To that technical minded person out there, I'd like to add a query to Stephens as well. Why does this odd problem only affect Progressive Scan playback and NOT interlaced ???

My rather limited experience of this prob primarily suggested it was the particular prog. scan capable CRT that I had at the time [i.e. Tosh PF2] and since I exchanged it for another prog. scan capable CRT that DIDN'T have the problem, it seemed natural to conclude it was simply that particular set. But the above posts clearly suggest this is far from the case:confused:

I'd love to get to the bottom of this, and I know a few other forum members who are thinking of investing in the above Tosh CRT would too...

Regards

LAGAVULIN

12. chris9682

chris9682
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    fixed the prob, the picture just needed moving slightly to the right using position adjustment on my scaler. Praise and thanks goes to Chris Frost who i recommend to anybody who needs a seleco crt setting up

13. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Solved my problem now. Changed to better quality component video leads and the symptoms went away. I hope this helps someone else.

14. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi Stephen,

Could you tell me which cables you were using and which cables you upgraded to which 'solved' your prob? Thanks a bunch and happy Christmas!

LAGAVULIN

15. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I was using a Tech+Link which I assumed would be better than the one supplied with the Denon 2900. I then lost the one supplied with the Denon and so could not try it . It is possible it would have been OK. I bought a Monster2 DVD component interconnect cable which resolved the problem and seems to give a generally cleaner and more stable picture. Expensive though!

16. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi again Stephen,

Yeah, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you that the Tech-Link should have been better than the cheapo leads supplied with the 2900 (as a rule I don't even open the packets of the supplied cables with any new product). But yeah, the Monster cable was a good buy - certainly an investment worthy of your hardware:smashin:

As for cost, I think they're not too bad a price, and since solving your problem as well, worth every penny:clap: BTW you can think yourself fortunate; my component leads cost double the price and I still had probs with my old Tosh prog. scan CRT:thumbsdow

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

17. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi Lagavulin,
    This has got me curious about interconnects generally. Does your QED Silver Reference etc. make a significant difference to what you had before? Would I see an improvement going the same way?

18. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi Stephen

Without wishing to go into the whole sticky subject of interconnects/cables, and all the related technobabble associated with it, the most simple answer to your query IMHO would be an emphatic YES! However, as I'm sure you're aware, the whole area of cables etc., has a pretty broad spectrum of for/againsts, if you see what I mean?

For instance, I really do recommend anyone to invest a few quid in some decent cables for decent kit, i.e. a Denon 2900 and a Prog. Scan CRT or Plasma etc., but to be fair there's not too much point in buying say a £70 component lead for my Goodmans DVD player in my dining room (which suprisingly DOES have component outs), but I do use some better cabes than those supplied for it, maybe kinda Tech-Link sorta stuff but not too expensive.

My 2900 component leads for example are three (for each RCA plug...natch) 0.5 mts QED SR75 (Silver Reference 75ohm Digital Co-ax) at £45 a shot, and are they better than the stuff supplied in the box...heck YEAH:eek: Like the difference between interlaced and progressive (well nearly:laugh: )...

Of course, one can go TOO far with all the interconnect stuff and spend silly amounts for improvements that IMHO I would say are relatively subjective. But without a doubt my own expereince suggests that a good few quid on some pretty good stuff will really bring the very best out of your hardware. Yeah, spend a bit but don't go overboard, unless of course you're thinking of buying a £3000 DVD player and a £20,000 plasma :confused:

Anyway, need anymore specific details, please feel free to ask, I'll happily share what little I know.

Regards Stephen,

LAGAVULIN

19. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi Lagavulin,

Thanks for that. I'll spend some time on the interconnect aspect and see how to get the best from my hardware.

Stephen