1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive scan prob

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by minijay, Sep 17, 2003.

1. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i have a philips 42pf9955 plasma.

it has progressive scan ports on the tuner box red green blue.

right i brought a new dvd player tosh sd-520e multiregion. i have used the progressive ports on the dvd and tuner and run the audio cable too. problem is when i switch the switch to progressive and play a region 1 disc i get sound but no picture. when i turn off progressive and use interlaced it works fine.

region 2 discs are not able to use the progressive feature.

any help would be greatly appreciated...

jay

2. ivodanoesastro

ivodanoesastro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked the progressive switch on the back of the 520. It should be in progressive position and not in the interlaced position.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Are you sure the Plasma accepts the progressive in signals? Just because it has red green and blue sockets doesn't mean it will.

You may also find that you have to enable the ability to receive such a signal in the plasma.

Gordon

4. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have put the position of the switch to progressive.

the dvd plays and the progressive light comes on and the picture disapears. when i select interlaced on the remote the picture comes back....

http://www.consumer.philips.com/glo...&subCatId=33_FLAT_TV_SU&productId=42PF9955_12

this is the link to the tv i have. it lists that it has progressive scan amoung other things.

i have looked through every menu and cannot find anything to do with progressive scan.

any other ideas....

jay

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've got a feeling that they are referring to the display as being progressive - as are all plasma's apart from ALIS panels - rather than the fact that it accepts a progressive scan input.

I downloaded the manual and had a look through but it does not give any more details about what inputs it accepts.

Cheers, Lee

6. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply.

thinking you may be right....

all i know is that when i use the red green and blue inputs on the back of the tuner box i have to use extension 5 and that comes up as yuv

does this help at all

7. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The red, green and blue inputs, or YUV, can take both an interlaced or progressive input depending upon the source.

My screen...a Sony LCD...then display either 576i or 576p on screen depending on whether my Denon 2900 is set to output interlaced or progressive.

Does yours show any details on screen such as this ?

Cheers, Lee

8. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tv just says yuv when you select that channel nothing about the input type.

says interlaced when i select it on the dvd but thats just a on screen display.

just looking for the specs of the tv. as per usuall the manual is as helpful as a chocolate ashtray.

ill post the findings shortly

cheers
    jay

have since found the spec file on the net. doesnt say anything about i or p against any of the screen sizes etc....

just says progressive scan.

bugger

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It might accept only NTSC progressive. May not be the end of the world, check the dvd menus, it might have the ability to output a NTSC signal. Then you'd need to compare the NTSC prog. scan against Pal interlaced, see which one you prefer. I think it's likely your screen doesn't accept PAL prog. scan. Mind you, they've got some front mentioning the word if it can't accept a progressive input. A recent thread about LG might shed some light, they are Philips development partner, and guess what? NO pal progressive.

edit: Having read the blurb, there's more than a hint of farmyard odour, as you say it careefully avoids all mention of input signal, and claims to display 'all 576 lines' of a widescreen display. As it's either an alis panel (not progressive) or more probably a W-VGA panel, ie 480 lines high, they are.... I don't intend to get moderated for the 1st time!

10. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply....

think its time i put a email into philips to find out exactly what it is.

and if it is progressive then they can get an engineer out to fix it...

why say it if it cant do it....

oh well. any other ideas let us know....

also if anyone knows how to change the dvd output on the tosh 520e that would be great. has been multi regioned so not sure what it is outputting. there is no menu that alows this change.

thanks again
    jay

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not faqmiliar enough with the tosh. to say for certain if you can output NTSC, just it's not unusual. If you've been through all the menus, then perhaps it can't, perhaps it only outputs video in the format on the disc. Woops read your 1st post, no good anyway, if it doesn't display with a region 1 disc, then it seems very likely it won't accept prog. scan. Checkthis thread to see what's going on with the LG plasma, it might be relevant.

12. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most of my dvds are region 1 thats why i wasnt bothered when i found out i could only watch region 1's in progressive. i have recently changed dvd drive from a different tosh. i had to input a code to change the output on that. to do with the region hack chip....

not sure about this one...

have just sent philips an email expect a reply by next year.

changed my last dvd because region 1's were flickering badly. only prob is the new drive also flickers but noway as bad. its watchable now....
    but annoying. was hoping the progressive stream would stop this but as i dont get a picture then kind of doesnt solve anything....

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The flickering sounds like it could be down to the plasma, though you don't mention TV quality. Does it flicker noticeably with tv? Most are worse with tv than DVD, if yours isn't then it really doesn't like the DVD player, bad luck to have 2 like that. The player itself seems to be generally well liked.

14. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi maw

yeah only seems to be the dvd.

tv quaility is ok. get a little seperation on fast scenes but nothing real bad. im told most plasmas do this to some degree.

dvd pictures are very sharp and have more depth to them than they did on my old tv.

also have the ps2 goin into it and that dont flicker thats just using a composite port ( single yellow )

i tested another tosh dvd before i got this one and it had very slight flicker on it... this new one onle flicker every now and again or at least its only noticeable then. the old one was bad any dark screen would be full of flashing lines scrolling up or down the screen.

are you thinkin there may be a fault with the tuner box.

:confused:

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That is a possibility. Philips probably out to look at it, if only to eliminate this possibility. I'd not be happy with what you've got if I were you, £3.5k or so for a tv, it reall out not to be so much hassle. Surely that's the point of buying an integrated set, as opposed to a monitor and leaving all the problems on your own head. It should be largely plug and play. Having said that, there's a couple of guys with problems with tosh 510's and Panasonic screens, so before going off half cocked as they say, try and borrow another dvd with component out to see what occurs. Maybe buy one at Richer's, and take it back later?

16. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its an idea m8

havnt tried a region 2 in the drive yet maybe i should to see if the prob goes away. i know prog wont work but not a problem think i only have 5 r2's out of 150.

17. ivodanoesastro

ivodanoesastro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Minijay,

Have you checked that to enable Progresive Scan on the Tosh520E you not only have to put the switch on the back to progresive but also in the setup menu put your output signal to anything but RGB.

Ivo

18. minijay

minijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello

yeah have done all that.

turns out my tv doesnt support progressive input but does support progressive scan internally

you work it out... the ports are there but they dont support it apparently...

just using the old interlaced format now.

still getting problems with flickering on region 1 discs but not 2

oh well back to the drawing boards