Progressive Scan players

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Elephant Man, Jul 15, 2000.

1. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Will these players ever arrive in the UK. Or HDTV

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDTV in UK or Europe = NO

Europe/UK decided that they would prefer many standard definition channels to a few HDTV channels, as HDTV is very expensive to run and produce for. So we will not be getting HDTV.
    Austraila have some HDTV but the studios are trying to get rid of it because of the high cost.

Progressive players - not sure, we will need some dvd players with progressive out first.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    HDTV may be a different story, but PS players should arrive soon, end of the year I guess.

4. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just returned from the States and saw Wild Wild west and Tazan on HDTV. It made DVD look Like VCD.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Hi Guys,

Two things.

First off. Progressive scan DVDplayers in the UK. I think much sooner than anyone thinks! Can't say much just now but watch this space........

Second: The chap who saw HDTV Tarzan and Wild Wild West. Was that broadcast in HDTV or is it that youjust saw the DVD's on HDTV compatible TV'S

Oh yeah and about the whole HDTV and progressive scan DVD. American progressive scan DVD output 480P. This is actually the "Standard definition signal" for digital TV broadcast in the US. It is not an HDTV resolution, afaik.

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

6. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The salesman said WWWest is from a HDLaser disc.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read a few articles in the American press where home theater journo's went undercover to buy DVD players & HDTV's their sales staff seem to be on par with ours: some very good, some without a clue.

I think it likely the one you spoke to didn't have a clue. There is no such thing as HDLaserDisc. (I would love to be proved wrong, I know HD storage mediums are in development, but if this was anywhere other than CES Vegas or a CEDIA symposium then his story was complete BULLSHlT.

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    The ability to playback HDTV video has been around for some time. I first saw HDTV at the CES in Vegas in Jan 94! I wish I knew what they used, but I can't remember. [​IMG]

9. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Progressive scan DVD players - in the form of PC DVD ROM drives - have been around for ages.
    Take the VGA output of your PC playing DVDs with Win DVD or Power DVD via a decent graphics card like a GeForce and feed the signal into a projector capable of at least 800x600 @ 75 Hz and you can get a supurb picture.
    It will be interesting to see whether progressive scan stand-alone DVD players will be flexible enough to allow adjustment of the output refresh rate. Standard PAL 50Hz is no good - you want 72Hz for NTSC and 75Hz for PAL.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff, broadcasters Stateside use Hi Def Tape formats to store HD progs. It is possible the salesman was talking about how the broadcaster stored hi-def progs, but if it was a shop showing a pre-recorded disc then it was B-S.

Blade, the current crop of R1 pro-scan players do not output at 72Hz, just the usual 60Hz. Having said that the Princeton PDV5000 does have this feature, but has not yet been reviewed in depth. I believe it retails at @$5000. Obviously prices of future models are likely to come down though.

11. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I saw HDTV in many stores. One store had two 60inch TV side by side. One was showing a DVD the another was Tazan in HDTV.

The TV displaying the DVD movie showed a pastly, smeary picture. Tazan looked like film (cinema).

That way they have developed Progression scan players to increase the res.

I have been told that PS players only benefits very large TVs.

Best bet is to buy a Tosh or top model Panny RV60 which output 540 lines res.

------------------
    It Doesn't Matter!