progressive scan player with component output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thewolf, Apr 3, 2004.

1. thewolf

thewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am planning to buy a new CRT TV: Thomson 32WB642S with progressive scan (NTSC/PAL) support via component input (BTW: what do you think of it?).

So I am looking for a good DVD player with progressive scan support (NTSC/PAL) via component output.
    It would be great if the player can be made region free w/o any hardware/firmware modification.

I don't want to spend a fortune :)

Which brand/model do you recommend?

Thanks!

2. wilcox

wilcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thewolf - i would have a look at the Yamaha S540. I have tried onto a big screen and the results are fairly amazing considering the price. good luck!!

3. Shahrouz

Shahrouz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thewolf,

Please be noted that Yamaha S540 does not have 3:2 pulldown processing.
    IMHO If you want decent ProgScan look for players with Faroudja de-interlacer.

4. thewolf

thewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I already heard that the Yamaha is not a good player, especially with the progressive output.

Which players have the Faroudja de-interlacer?

Thanks!

5. wilcox

wilcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again. I heard much the same thing about the S540, tried it myself and IMHO found it spot on.

Shahrouz - what does 3:2 pulldown processing actually mean exacty?

Cheers

6. cheeky monkey

cheeky monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Marantz DV4300 from Richer sounds?

7. paul710

paul710
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

How about a Sony DVPNS730 ? I bought one 4 months and have it connected via the component output and I am really pleased with the results. It plays my PAL and NTSC discs perfect in prog scan mode. I bought it for £130 multi-region.

8. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    3:2 pulldown processing is used to convert film video from a dvd into an interlaced NTSC video signal. The big problem with NTSC is that it is based on the US mains frequency of 60Hz, this equates to a frame rate of 30fps because on an interlaced picture two screen scans or fields are performed per frame.

Most films are shot at 24fps, if this was transferred directly to an NTSC picture, it would run nearly 25% faster. To get around this problem, the frames are shown in a field pattern of 3:2:3:2 etc by repeating the second field. So if you had two frames consisting of two fields A1, A2 followed by B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2 etc the field pattern would be A1:A2:A2:B1:B2:C1:C2:C2:D1:D2: This processing means that 24 frames of film become 30 frames of NTSC video, avoiding the increase in speed (although it introduces other nasties).

A progressive scan player is able to deal with these fields differently. It takes fields 1 and 2 and combines them to create a single non interlaced field which it then repeats in a 3:2 pattern to retain the correct speed but avoid the interlacing problems e.g. A(1+2):A(1+2):A(1+2):B(1+2):B(1+2):C(1+2):C(1+2):C(1+2):D(1+2):D(1+2)

In Europe where the mains frequency is 50Hz, the interlaced video is shown as it comes off the dvd. This means that the displayed video only runs about 3% faster than the original. Pal progressive will not show as much improvement as NTSC progressive because the speed issues are not present.

I hope that this helps :smashin:

9. thewolf

thewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That looks a good one.
    Where did you get it?

Thanks!

10. maguire

maguire
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Thomson only over here it's called RCA and my HDTV is a F38310JX4, it's supposed to have 38 of the 40 inch tube visible; I have a diaginol of 39 inces. I bought my discontinued CRT in April of 2001, no problems although many of my friends have had caps or diodes gone bad. Wolf my set has built in line doubler and a satellite receiver buit in, that I never used I am in a apartment facing away from Texas. The actual screen size is 19.5 inches high and 34.125 inches of 'in-screen' width.

More than likely your going to face only 1 component input, this what I did to the device you will see I added Belkin BNC to phono
    jacks for the extra cabels. I have the IN3506 you'll notice the 2 currents it will take and only 8 watts. When on click to make picture 'bigger' then back, then back to read the text and look at the bandwith available. You can buy these on ebay www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3506.htm this way I have 6 component inputs instead of only 1. :)

11. paul710

paul710
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thewolf

I bought it from Sound & Vision in Bolton (01204 861861) - good shop - I've had lots of decent kit from them at very good prices - just make sure the item is in stock when you order - it can sometimes take a while for them to get it back in stock.

12. thewolf

thewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you make a Sony DVP-NS730P region-free?

Thanks.

13. paul710

paul710
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was already modified by the shop.

14. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I bought the sony dvp730 and agree it is an excellent player with prog scan, good with cd's too.

15. thewolf

thewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you make it region-free? How?

Thanks!