Progressive scan player and rp tvs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by raigraphixs, Nov 10, 2001.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,384
    Hi,

I can interested in a progressive scan dvd player to use with my who8b rear projection set with component sockets;

1. I am thinking of the tosh 900E, though very expensive, is anyone currenty using this model with a rp set?

2.Where is a good play to buy a multiregion version with rce, apart from techtronics, as people are having problems with them, thought i found them good with my first player.

3. As prgressive scan is only limited yet to R1 dvds, what is the situation with R2 dvds, if and when the nod comes to use prgressive scan with R2 dvds, does that mean the dvd player (any progressive scan model) will have to be replace, modified, or is it already to use with R2 dvd for progressive scan. Can someone clear this up for me?

4. WHY is it that R2 dvds are not yet given the green light with progressive scan?, whats the mystery? Is it a money thing?

Thanks for any info

rai

2. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rai
    I'm not sure if you're aware,but the tosh r/p set you mentioned doesn't accept progressive scan.
    It has component inputs but that's it.
    There's currently only two pro/scan players that can play pal progressive that I'm aware of one from arcam(when it's allowed to )and one from denon(with a hack.)
    Regards

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In the States Toshiba have a range of r/p tvs called the `Cinema Range` and these will take progressive scan picture,but as always Toshiba in the U.K. even though some of their dvd players have prog` scan outputs reckon that no one is intrested,or read that as "can we take that feature off? yes you say - excellent!! now charge the customer for our time doing it,and continue to ship sub standard/below par eqipment and charge top wack for it" I suppose some of this range may come to the U.K. at some time but don`t hold your breath.If you want a tv that handles prog` then you are pretty limited to the Loewe `Anaconda`unless anyone has any info on the cinema range or any other companys plans to market any of their prog` capable tvs in this country ?? (this is not just an anti Toshiba post as most of the other companys are also guilty of shaving off features from their products that they bring into this country :mad: )

4. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,384
    Hi Guys,

BUT i think you have the wrong ideai about my message, as far as i understand (see 'what video and tv' dec 2001 issue, UK);

You do NOT need a prog scan tv to watch prog scan DVD images, BUT you do need componenet video inputs.*. Prog scan TVs are NOT as effective as prog scan DVD players.**

My suggestions;

* Tosh WHO8B rp tv
    ** Tosh 900E dvd player

So my original questions stand, and any info on those would still be appreciated!!.

regards

rai

5. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rai
    I'm afraid you've missunderstood what somenoe has told you.
    Component inputs do not automatically allow the use of pro/scan.
    The tv you talk of will not display pro/scan.