Progressive Scan playback on Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Sam Malone, May 29, 2004.

1. Sam Malone

Sam Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is my situation...

I own:
    Shuttle PC
    Samsung Plasma (PS-42P2ST)
    Toshiba DVD Player SD-220E

I hooked up my DVD player via RGB SCART to my plasma but don't like the image...too blurry. I prefer to playback DVD's on my PC because the image quality is much, much better with progressive scan. However, my PC is too loud!

I would like to purchase a prog scan DVD player but my plasma doesn't have component inputs! I went into the service menu and changed the rear-input form scart to RCA(it's called this in service menu) and the plasma accepted a component input and displayed "component" text on screen. This is cool as I can now play my PS2 via component. However, it won't accept a prog scan input from prog scan compatible games...sigh. When I try to play prog scan PS2 games via the PC input on my plasma, the picture stays for a few seconds and then the plasma shuts down. I guess it doesn't like the signal?

I then purchased a 3-phono to 15-pin(http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=202) but haven't purchased a prog scan DVD player to test it out this cable. I'm thinking about purchasing a really cheap prog scan DVD player for testing...I'm I wasting more money? Does anyone know if this will work? Does anyone know of any other settings in the service menu to get prog scan via the scart input?

I've been pulling my hair out for the last several days! I really want to purchase a Progressive Scan DVD player! Any advise much appreciated!

2. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could do worse than go to richer sounds, buy a progressive scan player that you 'might' keep , and if it dont work out you've got 14 days to return it under their very generous return policy.

They had a prog-scan dvd player with component out for abotu £150 by cambridge (their own ? )

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there

my friend has a samsung plasma not sure of model number, but it has 2 sets of component inputs but only one of them takes progressive scan signal the other takes interlased

hope this helps

surely in the manual it will say what signals the inputs will take.

example
    input 1. 480i 480p 576i 625p 1080i

thats just made up as an examlpe.

and make sure the ps2 is not out putting something higher that the plasma cant take like 720p, thats an example too. have a check

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you wont progressive scan over scart on anything

stop me if i`m wrong ;)

5. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You can get a multi-region prog scan player for £30 from Kwik Save...

My mom had one that I tested on my plasma to see how the picture compared to my component dvd player.

Might be worth getting one for testing purposes...

Can always use it in another room if not...or even sell it.

6. Dave Bartram

Dave Bartram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I recently bought the Cambridge 55 from Richer, my LG Plasma looks far superior when running in Interlace mode rather that Progressive using components. Looks dull & lacklusture in PS. Using cheap leads at the mo will see if there's any difference once these are upgraded but for the minute Interlace is much better. Read this elsewhere too.

7. iwilliams

iwilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    I just brought that DVD from richer sounds this weekend
    Its a DVD59 with PScan

I have connected it up to my panny 6 series. I cant tell the diffenence here

Does anyone know of a good test between interlace and non-interlace dvd players?

8. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    To be honest, the 6 series Panasonic de-interlacer is not bad. When I was demoing plasmas I used R1 Star Trek: Insurrection to check it out - do a search for "Insurrection" on these forums if you want more details on what to look out for.

Cheers,
    Liam

9. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    is it possible using an external scaler to convert sky interlaced to progressive for a panny 6.

If anyone does this what are the results like ?

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Yes, quite a few people do this (inc me ;))

Check out the "Progressive Scan and Video Processing" forum for more info inc a review of my iScan HD with a Panny 6...

Lumagens are also very popular...

JJ

11. Sam Malone

Sam Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ended up getting the Cambridge DVD55 at RicherSounds for £99 this weekend...not a bad price. However when I turned on the prog scan option, the image is just light green. Looks like I need a conversion box to convert component to vga....sigh.

I wonder if I can get the player to output a rgb signal via the component output? Or have I just lost the plot?

Sam

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Sam, the DV55 outputs RGB from scart or component from RCA you set it up in the menu.I think you may have lost the plot a bit though, if your panel won't accept prog scan it wouldn't be light green, it sounds like you are using the wrong connection on the player, which are all disabled when in prog scan mode.

13. Sam Malone

Sam Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried connecting a few ways...

1) Using scart and setting the SCART option to RGB
    - looks good
    - not progressive (understandably)

2) Using scart and setting the SCART option to Y Cb Cr
    - image is light green as plasma can only except SCART RGB
    - not progressive (understandably)

3) Using 3-phono to 15pin cable as described in my first post
    - image is light green
    - no option to have Y Cb Cr (output of player) to RGB instead as this is what the VGA input of the plasma is expecting.

I reckon this converter will allow me to use the progressive scan option of this and any DVD player to the vga input of my Samsung plasma.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=219&products_id=4233&

I think I might just take my DVD55 back to RSounds and get a refund. I will now search the internet for a DVD player that has VGA out...believe this is the best solution.

Any thoughts welcomed...

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    As I thought then. When you set the output to Y Pb Pr you disable RGB from scart, and put out component from the 3 rca sockets, not from scart. Note it will still output composite from scart, and from single RCA, and s-video. But then you select progressive, all outputs are disabled except the 3 component RCA's. You need to connect a 3 RCA to 3 RCA lead. If your screen is one of those horriffic ones that has no component input, you are up **** creek withoput the proverbial. The only progressive input it can accept is VGA. You are sending back the wrong part of your system, it's the display you want to be shot of.

15. Sam Malone

Sam Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > If your screen is one of those horriffic ones that has no component input, you are up **** creek withoput the proverbial.

That about sums it up...I should have had a better look at plasma inputs before shelling out 2K+ on a telly....sigh.

Looks like DVD player with VGA out is my only option.

Sam

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Way too expensive, but does it have DVI? There are some pretty reasonable DVI players about.

17. Sam Malone

Sam Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No DVI...sniff, sniff. It's a Samsung plasma...the model that were going for £2K a year ago. I'm amazed a year later that plasma's have dropped nearly £500....they will no doubt hover very close to the magic £1K price by Christmas.

I'm considering iScanUltra...but £500!?!?! Ouch!

Sam

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You don't want an ultra, it has yuv, s-video and composite inputs only. More expense there than you are thinking. But you could indeed use that device in the link. Does this thing actually have any other inputs?

19. Sam Malone

Sam Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unreal...I tried to get a refund at RicherSounds today and they said "No refunds exchange only within 14 days". I asked him to show me where it stats this in their policy...couldn't even show me because it doesn't!!! The policy says you can return your equipement within 30 days (exchange or refund) if the goods are faulty. The player was having trouble with playback so I said it was faulty. They then asked me to prove it! I then just asked for an exchange...yet I'm stuck with a DVD player that I don't want.

I will never shop at this store again...rather spend an extra £30 and buy goods from Argos. I know they wouldn't give me the same hassle...argh!

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Which branch? They are a retail biz I greatly admire, this ain't typical email Julian Richer, he'll sort it out.

21. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im stunned by this - they gave me complete refund on over £500 of stuff because I was not happy with it - didnt even ask why I wasnt , just took it in , all boxed, and said 'wasnt what I wanted'.

You really should email Julian / their cust-svcs they WILL sort it out.

22. Sam Malone

Sam Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was the Bloomsbury branch...I'm also in total shock. What the hell I'm I going to do with this brand new DVD player? Ebay?

Sam

23. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since its london you could just go to another branch there are zillions of course.

24. Sam Malone

Sam Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I'm not very amused!

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=returns.htm

"1. We offer a full refund, excluding delivery and collection charges incurred by us if the unit is unwanted and complete with packaging/accessories and in an ‘as new’ condition, we aim to issue refunds within thirty days from collection at the outside. "

Do they have different policies if goods are bought online instead of in store? This is madness!