1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan & Pioneer PDP503

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jheffron, Jan 6, 2003.

1. jheffron

jheffron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer PDP503 HDE plasma screen and a multi region Denon 2800 II progressive scan DVD player.

When I use the progressive output from the DVD player, my screen switches to 4:3 mode. I cannot (as normal) switch to any other aspect ratio. The image integrity is fine. I have set the DVD player to output to progressive and 16:9 and am using a component cable. I'm stumped.

My understanding is that the PDP 503 is a 100 Hz refresh rate display and that it has an intrinsic line double type capability. Are the two technologies competing? Should I be completely unconcerned about the progressive scan capability of the DVD player?

Can anyone also advise on whether PAL progressive scan will work with this screen.

Any insight you can offer would be very gratefully received.

James

:confused:

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Lat time I tried to get a 503HDE to accept a progressive PAL signal it didn't produce a picture at all, so you are one stage beyond that at least.

It has been generally believed that the HDE could not accept a PAL pro signal via the media box though there has been some talk of an upgrade to the box taking place at some point.

Mark

3. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted a question to Pioneer about the rumoured upgrade to the media box - they're saying there's no such upgrade planned.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi James,

Joe Fernand has previously stated on here that the HDE media box is not PAL PS capable - only NTSC PS.

Steve

5. jheffron

jheffron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much guys.

Shame about Pal progressive scan but at least that makes selecting the right DVD player easier.

James

6. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi James,

Re your problem with the screen going 4:3 with DVDs. Assuming your using input 3 component on the media box. Use the remote to switch to "input 3". This should give you contol over the ratios.
    I havent been able to find out how to program this as a "one hit" on the media box.

I failed to get any information from Pioneer regarding this problem or 503HDE overscaning.

Hope this is of some help.

7. GJD

GJD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Slightly off topic but I'm in the process of speccing up a Pioneer-based Plasma / Multi-region Prog Scan DVD Player for may Dad who lives in the US. The output from the DVD player I was going to use is component. Does this mean I may have trouble getting PAL prog scan using this cable or is prog scan usually turn on and offable (to coin a phrase) via the dvd player / media box (both Pioneer)?

Sorry to invade the thread!

8. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    The choice of progressive or non-progressive output is usually available on the DVD player if it supports progressive outputs.

Sometimes it is a menu option, other times it is a different set of component connectors but either way you do normally get to choose.

Where PAL progressive is available it is almost always available on the component type connectors.

Do check with the details of the specific player that you choose though to be sure.

Mark

9. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Miles@9

What is this that you refer to.

Is it what could be described as extreme combing on fast horizontal movement?

I too have the 503 and would be interested to hear if we share same issue?

10. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Huss,

Sorry, nothing that technical.

The picture you see on the 503HDE is missing about 5%. You lose the image edge on all sides. It's as if the image has been zoomed in on, very noticable with Sky Digital running RGB. Pioneer wouldn't give me the access codes for the engineering menu. They did said that the screen size was not adjustable on the HDE, even through the engineering menu. (But is very easy on MXE).

I don't get "extreme combing" on fast horizontal movement. In fact very little smearing, unless watching poorly encoded DVDs. Most of the time very clean, smooth pictures. (Running from Sony DVP 9000 YUV with PS on NTSC)

Miles

11. jheffron

jheffron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

GJD

When speccing your system this information may help:

The HDE versions of the Pioneer screens do not accept Pal progressive scan signals although they will accept NTSC progressive scan signals.

The principal advantage of the HDE is the analogue terrestrial TV and Teletext capability. This presumably will not work in the US anyway.

The MXE version (although it has cooling fans) is much more flexible in that it can be upgraded with a board that will accept all progressive scan signals. In addition, there is some evidence to say that the on board picture processing is superior to the media box. Even if it is not, you will be able to upgrade to an external signal processor should you feel the need.

[I'm definitely in the "upgrade is a way of life" camp myself.]

Should you opt for the MXE, a good satellite digibox will take care of TV signals. If you are committed to Pioneer, I believe you are better set with a professional version oftheir screen rather than the domestic version.

Hope this helps.

If you are committed to an HDE, I have one that is almost new that I may very well sell because I want Pal Progressive - entertaining good offers now.

James

12. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Re the tuner point, the USA version is the 5030HD if I recall correctly and that does of course ship with a media box suited to the USA broadcast TV signals, although it is most likely that anyone setting up a new system over there would be buying an HD receiver anyway.

Mark