Progressive Scan picture 'stripey' on Sony NS930

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
I have recently bought a DVP-NS930 player specifically for its Progressive Scan capability. I am connecting it to my Toshiba 27WP42 Plasma (Panasonic Series 5) and on a couple of occasions recently noticed a strange 'phenominon'.

Its quite hard to explain what I mean, but picture appears to be made of odd and even horizontal stripes.

The odd stripes are from one frame, the even stripes are from the next.

So, when you have fast movement, the picture looks 'stripey'.

So, for example, if you had an object moving across the screen, it would like like this:

.---
. ---
.---
. ---

*ignore the dots, as this is the only way that I can insert a 'space'

Where as it should look like this:

---
---
---
---

If I then stop the disk, go into the menus and change to 'Interlaced', the problem goes away.. But more worryingly, if I then change it back to 'Progressive', its not their either. The picture is now fine..

I havn't worked out how to get it in this state, but now that I have noticed it, it seems to happen regluarly.

I am not sure if this is a problem with the DVD player or the screen, so I am going to do some more tests later, but it certainly looks like a 'bug' rather than a fault.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas whats wrong

Possibly it's selecting the wrong kind of de-interlacing .. there are two, 'film' and 'video', if it's sometimes working and sometimes not it may be that it's mis-detecting .. is it possible to force it into one mode or the other, I have a 730 which AIUI is pretty much the same and it does have the option to select one or the other, as well as 'auto'.

Interesting.. I think mine is set to 'auto'..

Is the option 'film' and 'video' related to how the movie was recorded?

The 2 things that I saw this on to date were:

Alan Partridge
Peter Gabrial Concert.

All of these would have been recorded on 'video' rather than 'film' and I wonder if this is what the option means?

As you suggest, the two modes are usually a result of how the video was recorded though it's not always intuitive which is used for any particular video. Worse, DVDs are supposed to indicate to the player what mode they're in, but often this is missing .. you can read more of the grizzly details here .

So, usual advice is to select 'auto' but if things don't seem to be right try forcing one or other mode.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom