Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Progressive scan output frame rate when 3-2 pulldown detection kicks in?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob.Screene, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Do I assume a de-interlaced NTSC video comes out a de-interlacer at 60fps(Hz)?

Using tomsmocomp deinterlacing (for AVIsynth) as a reference, I notice that that doesn't keep all 60 fields, as it only outputs 30fps so it's combining each pair, not interpolating between the full 60. I asume Dscaler's tomsmocomp does the same, hence I assume this is why people find de-interlaced PAL at 75Hz fine to look at.

My question is;
    - What output rate do most de-interlacer/scalers produce, say for an NTSC input?

Also,
    - What happens to the output rate when 3-2 pulldown detection kicks in and then only 23.976fps are available?

thanks and regards,
    Rob.

2. They

They
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The typical output rate in progressive frames from a de-interlacer is the same as the input rate of fields, i.e. 60Hz interlaced to 60Hz progressive, it doesn't matter if the source was film or video.

For 24fps (Hz) film which includes a 3:2 field sequence a good de-interlacer will pair the correct two fields for each frame (48 fields in total each second) and then use 3:2 pulldown sequence to pad out the 60Hz progressive output.