1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive scan on Sony DVP NS-900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mrprelude, Mar 8, 2002.

1. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read in another magazine, a review of a Sony NS-900 DVD player, which stated that it was unfortunate that this model did not have progressive scan capabilities, although on the whole the model was one of Sony's best.
    It just so happens that I had previously purchased this model and when reading the owners manual, discovered a complete section on how to set up progressive scan and what results to expect.
    Did I read the review incorrectly or is there something I have not understood correctly?
    Can someone please clarify this matter?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The Sony 900 does not have Progressive Scan, the flagship 9000 model does though.

Progressive Scan is only of use if you have the relevant display capable of accepting & displaying the signal.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The US Model has progressive scan, not the european one

Andy

4. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere that there are 2 model. 700V and 700P. The "P" has progressive scan obviously. Maybe the same happening with the 900, a 900V and 900P?

5. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  6. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To all those who read my post about my progressive scan Sony.

You'll all be pleased to know what a complete prat I feel.

Although I have to disclose that the owners manual is a bit misleading.
    The section in the manual does NOT state that prog. scan does not apply to the European model anywhere in it at all. (Naughty Sony).
    However, a quick check of the back panel revealed the absense of the prog. scan switch that the American models obviously have.
    Annoying thing is that I got myself really excited there for a moment, thinking that I had discovered an error in the magazine which happens to be HCC.
    Never mind.

Sees yers laters

mrprelude

7. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Think yourself lucky - I bought an NS700 because I was under the impression that it had component/progressive scan like the US model. It doesn't even have component output! :-(

Never mind, it's a great player and I really like the SACD functionality so I'll be holding on to it for a while.

Gav

8. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a gutter, Gav.

I thought most of the Sony range had component out.

I'm into dance music a lot and I think that sort of music is crying out to be played back in multi-channel. I just can't wait 'till there is even more choice on this format.