1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive scan on sony 730p

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ted26, Sep 15, 2003.

1. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My sony DVP-NS730P turned up at 4 oclock today a replacement to my sony DVP-NS700V dvd player which i always thought was pretty mint regarding its picture quality :clap:

So for its first test i connected both dvd players up to my panny plasma as follows

700v>Scart>js vga convertor>plasma

730p>component cables>plasma

I then made a demo disc of 2 towers and ran it in both machines at the same time and sat back switching the input on my panny between the 2 dvds!

After 30 mins switching between the 2 me and the misses agreed that we could see no difference in picture quality :confused: I didnt expect the world but to notice something would have been nice!

So is there no real difference when run side by side or am i doing something wrong(ps all cables are of high quality)

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    did you engage the progresive mode on the dvd player.
    if you didn't you wouldn't notice any difference as they are similer model's.
    The main difference being that the 730 gives you progressive scan which should vastly improve the pictures

3. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes i engaged progressive mode on dvd player! It has a button on the front to switch between progressive auto-progressive film-progressive video and normal interlaced!

There is no visable difference between any of the settings.

Plasma is switched to accept progressive but how do i know if it is actually recieving it?

4. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can you set the mode on the plasma direct? On my PJ if I set it to 480i or 576i for pal and use a progressive signal you only get an image on half the screen.

5. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I dont fully understand what you mean tim but the only settings on the plasma i know of are to switch between rgb and component?

6. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well i checked the menu and the plasma is recieving progressive so i guess i'm imune to it :laugh:

Its good to see that my old 700 is just as good as the new progressive models :)

7. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ted26

On my Sanyo Z1 you can set it to 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, these are the numbering systems for pal/nstc interlace or prgressive and equate to the veritcal resolutions.

8. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep its showing 525p

Just looks no different than interlaced :eek:

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Try testing a scene with lots of shimmering or jaggies, a good test is the intro to ST Insurrection lots of jaggies and shimmering on the roof tops.
    Also any fine detail area like tweed jackets or horizontal blinds like in Mars attacks the first scene with Brosnan describing the aliens.

10. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I have found that although Progressive scan does improve the picture to a certain degree, no way could it be considered to vastly improve performance, i use a Toshiba SD510E which provides a particuarly good interlaced picture, when switched to prog mode, the improvements do not leap out at you, and even the jagglies do not disappear completely.

11. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I find that the prog-scan output from my Denon 2900 makes a vast improvement over both interlaced ouput and the interlaced output of my old Sony player...but I guess it all comes down to which has the better processing, the DVD or the display.

In my case it's obviously the player. I also use an iScan Ultra for Sky+ which again makes a huge difference over an interlaced scart feed.

I find the above to be true both on my Sony 30" LCD TV and on the Sony HS10 PJ allthough more improvement is visible on the TV.

Cheers, Lee

12. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that plasma sets are natively progressive (ie. they de-interlace all incoming interlaced video) I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't much of a difference. The only difference might come if the deinterlacing in the DVD player is markedly better than the plasma's, and even then we're talking about small differences.

Adam

13. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Even though my TV is ALiS and the benifits of progressive scan from a dvd player are limited, there are 2 major improvements for me. The first is that the chroma is upsampled properly, and no longer looks pixellised. The second is that when using the interlaced output the fine (horizontal) detail of the picture is filtered from about 5mhz, every test i've done (avia & DVE) shows a grey blob past 5mhz rather than black & white lines. This makes the picture look soft. With progressive engaged, the picture is no longer filtered and no longer soft.