1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan on RGB input

Discussion in 'TVs' started by torimusic, Dec 29, 2001.

1. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Onkyo DV-S535 DVD player connected to a Panasonic TX-36PG50. The DVD player outputs an RGB signal from the SCART connector and the TV accepts an RGB input on the AV1 SCART connector. The DVD player does not support progressive scan. For video playback from the DVD player,I have connected the DVD player to the TV with a QED SCART to SCART dedicated RGB cable.

I always have the TV scan mode set to 'auto'. When I play PAL region 2 DVD's, the TV sets the scan to 100Hz mode. When I play NTSC region 1 DVD's. the TV sets the scan to 'progressive'.

I want to know the following:

What is the difference between the progressive scan feature on the Panny TV and the progressive scan capability in certain DVD players eg: Pioneer DV-747 ?
    How does the Panny handle progressive scan if it does not support component inputs ?
    Will a DVD player that supports progressive scan make any difference on my Panny or is the Panny doing 'it's own thing' when it comes to progressive scan ?

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The Panasonic TV will not accept an external progressive scan signal from a DVD player (no RGB SCART input will AFAIK) but will convert PAL 60 or NTSC interlaced inputs to progressive. It doesn't do this for 50Hz signals - I suspect either because the deinterlacing chipset doesn't support it and/or because they found there was too much flicker; hence 50 Hz signals are turned into the 100Hz type, which doesn't flicker but may suffer more motion artefacts.

John Dawson (Arcam)