1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan on region locked players

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stevenwilliams, May 24, 2002.

1. stevenwilliams

stevenwilliams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering what is the point of a company that tries to dissuade us from region unlocking a DVD player from producing a region 2 player that only does NTSC progressive scan.

I have a Pioneer 939-a fixed to region 2.

Pioneer made a point of pushing the progressive scan feature but did not state that it does not work on PAL disks.

The 939-a is not a remote hackable unit and as such any modifications would invalidate the warranty.

I asked the Pioneer reps at the Bristol show about this and they didn't know a thing about progressive scan or region encoding (Great reps). I then asked Pioneer on the web and the only response I had was that my enquiry would be dealt with in 24hrs. (Nothing after that.)

There are many players for sale that only do NTSC progressive so what is the point in producing a player that is region fixed?

2. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi stevenwilliams

Well I guess it's cos they kinda know that most people will buy a multi region player or have one moded so they can buy cheaper dvds and get them sooner than in the uk. I guess.

By the way, now I've never used Techtronics so I can't comment on there customer service, but they can modify your 939 without opening the lid thus aviod expiring your warrenty. I believe they place or replace a moded chip in the side of your player through the vent using fine pliers to take the old out and put new in. Perhaps you should look into this.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,974
    Popular misconception: Region 2 = PAL.

Region 2 includes Japan which is an NTSC territory. If you don't want to de-regionalise(?) your player, you can take advantage of its PScan ability if you import your software from Japan.

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I guess you could, but not too many people I know order from Japan or can read Japanese web sites. The States is where it all starts from. But I get your point. :)

5. stevenwilliams

stevenwilliams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses..

Still begs the question why they market a useless feature for a fixed region player..

When they actively advertised this player they made a big thing about the Progressive scan feature.. This feature is useless to people in this country unless they invalidate there warranty.

I asked pioneer about the tektronics hack and they said any modifications to the player invalidates the warranty and they can easily find out if the player has been modified using the emod device tektronics use (dont ask me how).

so we are basically back to the same problem. You cannot use the progressive scan facility in the UK unless you import disks or invalidate the warranty..

If I were a purist I could say the player was unfit for the purpose it was purchased for as it cannot play progressive scan in the UK (Regardless of importing disks.) after all the entire region coding thing is to discourage people form doing this.

6. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Im sure if you buy the player moded from a retailer they will uphold the warrenty even if Poineer or whoever tell you they wont, as it will come out of the retailers pocket not the manufacturers.

7. stevenwilliams

stevenwilliams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Snowman,

I don't have a problem with the warranty situation myself as the contract of sale is with the shop and not the manufacturer. So the shop has to uphold the warranty. In fact the sales of good act allows you to take the item back even after the warranty has run out due to the 'of suitable quality' clause and the cost of the item makes the suitable quality higher than an inexpensive item.

I am still a little miffed with Pioneer though as they should have not advertised the progressive scan facility so much in the UK.

8. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Im sorry to here that, I can only suggest you hire a top flight Barrister to take legal action against Pioneer for miss informing the nation and for using agressive 'traders puff'.:eek:

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    this might make you feel a little better :)

when i bought my 737 it was already multiregioned, however my Plus DLP that I had could not handle a progressive signal with macrovision still in it.

when i went back to the store to see if they could remove the macrovision they said they could but the pioneer warrenty would be invalidated.

as it was already multiregioned i said that surely it must already invalidated.

their response ??

no the multiregion firmware was supplied by pioneer !!!
    however to supply a firmware with macro removed would be really pushing it.
    pioneer know that people who are going to buy a player with progressive scan are the sort of people who are going to buy region 1 discs and have the diplay to handle it.
    the same way people who dont want all these extra features will buy the player they like the look of under their tv.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,974
    I think I was trying to say that it isn't entirely a useless feature. You can buy R2 NTSC discs which WILL play progressive. You just have to buy Japanese discs, which are expensive. But they ARE R2 and WILL play on an unmodified R2 player.