1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan on Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rob_smithsoni, Aug 13, 2003.

1. rob_smithsoni

rob_smithsoni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just read the following quote on another site:

"Most plasmas have pretty comprehensive inputs, so you should be okay. They all display a progressive picture because they are a dot matrix display. The advantage of feeding them with a progressive source is that they don't have to de-interlace internally, which cheaper models make a meal of. "

Does this mean all plasma screens by default are capable of taking input from a progressive scan DVD player?

I have a Sony KE32TS2E plasma with compnent inputs. I'm thinking of updating my DVD player anyway, so would a progressive scan equipped player be worthwhile (It may be for the future anyway).

I can't seem to find any info on the Sony's on-screen menus or manual about progressive scan or how to accept it.

Like I say, it's maybe implicit that plasmas can accept it, so I won't find any specific reference about it in the manuals or menus.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It is true that plasmas are inherently progressive devices & deinterlace the signal (unless progressive signal is input).

I don't know much about the Sony plasmas but I thought the KE32TS2E were ALIS screens (based on fuji glass) & as such are probably best fed an interlaced signal.

ALIS (Alternate lighting of surfaces) behave differently to other plasmas.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    No not all plasma's accept progressive signals.

No not all plasma's are progressive in nature.

It depends on the plasma what progressive signals it will recogNnise

Alis panels are interlaced in nature

Gordon