1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan on Panny PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Davidgilmour, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,
    installed the component board on my Panny PW7 with a Pioneer 2750 DVD player ( 65 quid cheap player with NTSC PAL PS ).
    I can not see any difference when I put interlace on or PS on, tested it on several DVD's ( Robbie Williams concert, Gladiator, DG in concert ).

Am I getting blind or could it be so? When I had the Pioneer connected through the mediabox the differences were REALLY noticable, immediately after changing interlace to PS on the player.

Anyone ?

2. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Perhaps the DVD's de-interlacer is no better than the board's?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its just how the media box handles the signals i would leave PS off.... the question is does direct look better than media box?

4. Light_User

Light_User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Pioneer 575A playing through a component board using Supra AV3 cable into a PW7. I found that the easiest way to see the difference between ps and non ps was to ignore the dvd's at first and look at the "PIONEER" logo that appears when the player is switched on.

You will see that the rounded areas on the P, O and R, for example, become more "rounded" and less blocky on ps. Then, when you "know" what you are "looking" for play the dvd's on non ps and then finally play the dvd's on ps.

You will now appreciate the definite (but subtle) improved ps picture on all your movies and concerts......

I hope this helps.

5. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I notice this but the effect is very small, i.e. not noticable from more than 50 cm away from the screen. I have also connected the 30 quid Eltax DVD player with component ( non PS ) and did a test. I asked my gf to install turn both dvd players on for me , 1. cheap eltax component , 2. pioneer component interlaced and 3. pioneer progressive scan and I did not see any difference, couldnt tell which was which, lol. So the pioneer went back to the dealer this evening, will buy a PS dvd player when I buy a surround amp too in a couple of weeks, months, years.... :D :D :D

6. mooic

mooic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I am aware the PW7 converts any input to progressive scan so it dosent really matter weather a dvd outputs I or P because I will be converted to P by the panel ny way! I found the same with my dmre85 on a PW7 via component, with progrssive scan on or off I could not tell the difference. But there is a massive difference between SCART RGB and component.

7. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yeah, just what I was thinking ! Funny thing , I have this billiant pic on a 30 quid DVD playe with component output. Life can be so simple sometimes
    :D