1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan on DVD player

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gene, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Gene

Gene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My cheapo DVD player (AMW P8A5 from ebuyer) has progressive scan and interlaced output via component (and interlaced only via s-video/scart I think)

My projector (Infocus X1) also has a built in Faroudja DCDi chip to convert interlaced to PScan.

Should I feed the projector with the progressive signal from the DVD player or should I feed it an interlaced signal for the projector to do the de-interlacing?

Which way would be better?

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Gene,

I would expect the DCDi chip to do a better job of deinterlacing than the chip in your budget player, so feed your X1 with interlaced component. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Gene

Gene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm already running component to vga progressive, so what I think I'll do it just get the extra cable for component to s-video for the X1 (I know very difficult to get, but am thinking of making my own), that way I'll feed it a component interlaced signal and visually check the differences, then settle for whichever is best.

4. sconie

sconie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am running the same setup as you, I find the saturation needed pumped up on the player to give a richer pj picture, 7 by 4 diy blackout screen at around 16 feet away gives great results ( in my humble opinion ) keep in touch via email or thie forum and we can hopefully tweak our systems more and more.

Cheers
    Sconie (Paul)

5. Gene

Gene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Sconie. I actually bought that DVD system after reading one of your earlier posts. Looks like a good combination. Thanks for the tip. Picture and sound is fantastic for the price.

I got 6 foot wide screen material from DRH and added it to a 6 foot roller blind kit :)

At the moment I haven't had time to do much tweaking, all I've done on the PJ is increase contrast and thats about it. The colour temp is set to warmest. Nothing much done on the DVD settings, but I'm planning to play around with it when I get some more time.

Nice to hear you have the same setup as me.

6. sconie

sconie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi again, I have my settings to warmest contrast 70 brightness 65 red 80 blue 60 green 38, sound weird but looks better, I just keep saving the settings and comparing them, then delete the ones that don't look right, if you try to increase saturation on the dvd player up to about 7 or 8 you may find the colours look stronger, I look forward to hearing how you get on but it is the best £600 I will ever spend on home cinema i'm sure.

Cheers

:clap: