1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan on a panasonic sa-ht870

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Woods C18, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Woods C18

Woods C18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My panasonic sa-ht870 has the ability for progressive scan at 480p. It says in the manual that it dosnt play PAL discs in pro-scan WHY NOT? It says it will play NTSC discs at 480p but, and this is what throws me, ... it isnt a multi region player??????????
    If anybody can tell me whats going on and how to play dvd's in pro-scan i would be very greatful.

2. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi

Your sa-ht870 can not output a progressive signal on any pal disk but it can on an NTSC. Region coding can make things confusing, but what it is reffering to is the tag put on the disk to give it a region and not the actual resolution structure which Pal/NTSC refers to. Your player will play Pal or NTSC disks but not an NTSC region 1 disk for instance.
    Many players up untill recently were only NTSC progressive but most manufacturers have now jumped on the Pal Progressive band wagon. What are you connecting it to? This can be important as LCD and most plasma screens are naturaly progressive so take and interlaced signal and deinterlace it anyway making your need for pal progressive not essential. The only time it can become important is if the deinterlacer in your DVD player (Pal progressive) is better than the deinterlacer in your TV, so feeding the tv with an already deinterlaced signal.

Hope that makes some sense but if its still unclear then feel free to ask.

Daz

3. Woods C18

Woods C18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is good to hear. I wish the manual made such sense. My tv is a samsung le26r41bd and way ahead of my dvd. Ill just put up with an'ok' picture untill hi-def dvds become available. Cheers for a straight answer.

4. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Glad I could help :)

Daz